Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Disney Planes

I actually made it out of the house for a couple of hours on Labor Day. We went early in the morning to the movies to see Disney's Planes. I loved the movie and the message. I loved the theme of being yourself and staying true to who you are. I think this is one of my favorite Disney movies because of the storyline. 

There was a part in the movie that hit me really hard. I could relate and felt that Disney did a great job developing the feeling behind the scenes. If you haven't seen the movie and do not want it spoiled, quit reading. 

Dusty Crophopper is the underdog. The bigger and more competitive plane has sabotaged him and he almost died. He keeps going and survives, against all odds. His plane is completely broken and in disrepair. He is hopeless. As it looks like all options point to not only this race but his future being over and pretty dim. 

Just when he thinks all is lost, one by one, the other planes come to him, bring them their spare parts and do what they can to help them. As each plane comes up, offering him their gifts, it is obvious how Dusty has touched each of their lives. He is selfless and in return has dramatically impacted each of their lives. 

Dusty is humbled. Grateful. Amazed. In awe. And completely in shock that others would do this for him. 

At that moment in the movie, it was hard for me to fight back tears. I related to Dusty and the emotions  the movie portrayed and even deeper ones that could not been shown or expressed but only felt. 

I find myself in Dusty's position in life. Tired, worn out, no will left to fight, beat down and exhausted. I am questioning if the race is worth it. The road ahead seems impossible. With my broken down body and spirits, is the road ahead even worth it. 

As I saw Dusty on the screen, I saw the difference he was making. I experienced a change of heart. I, too, have felt the joy and inexpressible gratitude that comes from person after person showering me with gifts of love and service. As some dropped off things I stood in need of, they told stories of how I helped them in life. How I was a light in the darkness or a strength in their time of need. The words, the kindness, selfless acts of service helped me to pick up the pieces. 

As I struggle, again debating if I can will myself up, I found strength in a Disney character, Dusty. 

Everybody loves the story of the underdog. 

I feel,like the underdog. But if Dusty can do it. So can I! So can I! 

No comments: