Friday, April 16, 2010

Carthage Jail


Our first day in Nauvoo we went to Carthage Jail to see where the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum were killed.
Being at Carthage Jail was an experience that has touched my heart. We were able to tour the jail and hear about the martyrdom of the Prophet.
We had the neatest experience in Carthage. We asked if we could stay behind and just talk to Hayden. Standing on the spot where Joseph was killed, I was able to bear testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith, his life, his vision, and his death. I explained to Hayden the significance of these events in Hayden's life. The feelings and the Spirit were so strong. The Spirit witnessed to each of us the true divinity and life of the Prophet. The feelings in that room cannot be expressed other than it was such a touching experience. I pray that Hayden will always remember the sacred feelings he felt that day!

We lingered on the grounds at Carthage for quite awhile and discussed the First Vision with Hayden. We talked of the restored gospel to the earth. We testified to Hayden that the Lord still calls prophets to lead and guide us. Joseph Smith was true and faithful to the Savior and the gospel all the days of his life. What an example and life he led. I am very grateful for the opportunity we had to stand where he stood and to feel the events that took place. I will never forget those sacred moments.





4 comments:

Connie said...

What good times! And you look great...so I hope that means you're feeling great too!!!

Usman Zafar Paracha said...

Nice Blog

free FONT said...

hello!
warm greeting for your family :D

Jamie Jo said...

We just watched the Joseph Smith movie in SLC and then I just watched Emma on TV. Tears and more tears. I hope I get to do a church history trip someday. I would love to walk where those early saints walked. So many of my ancestors were early church members, and I think I often fail them by not appreciating what I have more each day. I'm sure Hayden will always remember his feelings and his parents testimony during this trip.