Friday, October 16, 2015

Conference - what matters most

When Elder Bednar spoke on disabilities and ailments of aging, he quoted Elder Robert D Hales and said, "When you cannot do what you have always done, then you only do what matters most."

It was as if the Savior himself were speaking to me. 

My heart heard, "you may be limited in what you can do. You may struggle. But as long as you do what matters most, nothing else matters."

I thought to myself. Am I doing what matters most? Am I fulfilling my role here? Am I doing what is most important? 

I thought of homeschooling Hayden in particular. The thoughts came to me. "I need young men who are strong missionaries. I need youth you know WHo they are and WHOSe they are. I need youth with strong testimonies and faith and integrity. I need those that know how to serve. I need those that are mine in deed thought and action. I'm not as worried about incredible mathematicians, but in strong and faithful disciples." 

I thought of Hayden. He is all those things. I thought of our homeschool. We talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we read scriptures, we serve and love. We may not do all that we once could but we definitely concentrate and do what matters most. 

I am so grateful that I held on. I felt my questions would be answered during conference. After 5 sessions with many speakers, the last apostle to address us at conference, answered my questions. I'm so grateful for answered prayers. I'm grateful the Savior teaches us and sends tender mercies to let us know that we are in His hands. 

No matter what I can or cannot do, as long as I do what matters most, that is all matters. 

No comments: