Thursday, March 6, 2008

My little missionary

I picked Hayden up from school yesterday and this conversation begins... "Mom, my friend's mom came and told me that the bad word he is saying isn't really bad and for me to quit telling him it is." Okay, Hayden, some mom's have different rules, if his mom says it is okay, then you don't say it, but don't tell him it is bad. "But, mom, it is a really bad word and he shouldn't be saying it." Well, Hayden, some people have different rules and different standards.... "Mom, what if we have his mom come over and you can teach her the right way, maybe she just doesn't know?" As I am thinking of what to say and he cuts in with, "I have a great idea mom! Why don't you get the Book of Mormon, circle the part where Jesus says we shouldn't say ______ and we can give it to _____'s mom. That's a great idea, isn't it?".

How do I say no to that?
So, my next step... getting the courage to give his buddy's mom a copy of the Book of Mormon. How else do I teach Hayden to stand up for his beliefs and to be a missionary? Any ideas?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing that our children are born with an innate sense of faith and courage. It is our example and the world that teaches them fear. I think that you are doing the only thing that you can. Following his example.

Monroe Family said...

He is going to make an awesome missionary!

Anonymous said...

I remember Ann giving a Book of Mormon to my christian nephew who I had assumed because of his anti-mormon christian teaching would never even consider - but he read it for her -- and joined the Church a few years ago -- imagine how I felt...so proud Ann for doing that -- so shameful of me for not having the faith that these young ones do!