Saturday, August 15, 2009

Blessing

Yesterday morning, before Hayden had his EEG, Thomas gave Hayden a priesthood blessing. I was concerned because they said that if he wouldn't cooperate, they would have to strap him down to the table. I wasn't sure how Hayden would do.

It was amazing as Thomas gave Hayden a blessing. I could feel the Spirit so strong. My worries and scaredness slipped away. It was replaced with an all encumbering peace. I was able to receive a glimpse into our Heavenly Father's love for my sweet son.

What was amazing to me is the Lord went on to explain to Hayden why he had some of these challenges and why Heavenly Father entrusted him with these special challenges. As a mother, I so appreciated the guidance by a loving Heavenly Father to help me deal with some of the challenges that Hayden is facing. I realized that it will always be in my nature to fix things for Hayden. Sometimes, it is teaching him to endure and rise above that is really my job. I don't have to have all the answers, I just need to be able to teach him where to turn to find them.

Hayden is one of Heavenly Father's choice spirits. I have always known that. I have never understood why he was sent to me and Thomas, when I am sure that there are so many people that could do a better job. But, I am thankful everyday for the opportunity. Hayden brings so much joy and peace to our family. His understanding of the gospel is far greater than anything I have ever taught him. He understands the true nature of the gospel and loves with a Christlike love.

Last night, Jodi, Suzi and I talked about Hayden. There is no gray in Hayden's world. It is all black and white... right or wrong. I love that about Hayden, but it sometimes gets us in some sticky situations. There is no sugar coating wrong to make it look less wrong. In his book wrong is wrong and right is right. Oh, how I watch him and realize he has it right and it is me that needs to change.

As I write this, I again feel the overwhelming peace that the Spirit brings into my heart and home. Heavenly Father is aware of Hayden, his needs and his challenges. And, although, I feel the need to "fix" things, I know that all I have to do is my best and then leave the rest up to the Lord. He lives. He loves me and Hayden, as he does each of us. Of that I am sure.

1 comment:

Jamie Jo said...

That is very sweet, Jerlyn. I think Priesthood blessings are the best. How amazing is it that God can talk to us that way. I'm glad things went well with your darling boy.