Thursday, August 6, 2009

We survived

Yesterday was quite the adventure. I had forgotten how horrible the first month of first grade was. As we were driving to school, Hayden started talking about the last day of first grade and the awards ceremony which was an absolute fiasco. He had a couple of seizures that day after school due to the stress. As we are driving, he starts back at that moment and is reliving it. Then, he starts asking me about what are the rules to go to the bathroom.... I don't know. Hayden will not break a rule or think about breaking a rule. And so, had many accidents at the start of school last year because he was too afraid of getting his card turned, so he wouldn't ask to go to the bathroom. He wouldn't go at lunch because he is terrified of all the noises of the public toilets flushing and there are so many going off at recess. Poor kid! I don't know how to answer, that was 10 months ago and we had overcome that problem. I hadn't thought about it.

As we pull up to the school Hayden starts talking in his rout, repetitive voice and is really freaking me out. He only does that prior to seizures and when he is out of control nervous. He is repetitively saying, "Gotta go in the front, gotta go in the front." I am trying to get him into the school and it is not working.

Luckily, we saw Shameek and Joey. They have all been friends for years. I get Shameek to come talk to Hayden and it pulls him out, somewhat. His teacher and Coach Jones, see this and take Hayden from me. At this point, I am not even sure that Hayden is aware of what is going on. I get in the car and SOB!

I drive to work, as I get in, my dad tells me to go back to the school that I will be of no use to him. I go back, walk in the office and loose it. This is the first time I have ever cried at the school. But, I really thought now that we had some of this figured out, it would be easier. The office staff, reassures me that he will be fine. They understand Hayden and things are going to be much easier than last year. We have narrowed down the problems, his teacher has attended an austism in the classroom training course this summer and they are all more aware of his needs.

I cry, telling her that since I learn new things, deal with them, adjust our routine, adjust our lives according to Hayden's needs, that I had forgotten all the changes that took place since last May. Hayden has started into seizures, he has become more outgoing (thank you speech class) and I swear he has more energy! They tell me that it is okay, they understand, and that they love Hayden. At that, I felt an overwhelming comfort and peace.

That is true. This group of people have known Hayden since he was 3 1/2 years old. They all love him. So yesterday, I left, knowing that he was in good hands. Coach sat by Hayden some of the day, the office staff checked in on him and his teacher was amazing. When I picked him up, his teacher and the principal met me at the car. Said he did great and told me that it would get easier. He was most excited that if he gets 10 positive popsicle awards he can use the teacher's chair for the day and she will use his. Whatever floats your boat dear boy. That is way cooler than a toy or treat to him.

All in all, Hayden had a good day and wanted to go back today. This morning, his teacher met me at the car to take him out. He smiled huge when he saw her and told her he was going to try and earn two positive popsicle rewards today! I am so thankful for good teachers and so thankful for the Spirit that helps guide me in what to do with my precious little boy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you survived! You really did. He is content and he feels good about his new adventure. It will be a good year for him.
I bet, after the fact, it felt good to let loose to the school. They needed to know how dedicated you are to your son's health. They know now.
You are the best Mother this boy could have! xoxo

Connie said...

YAY! Not only for surviving, but for progress!!!