Friday, August 20, 2010

Treadmill testing

Hayden had his first treadmill/stress test on Wednesday. He was nervous for it and didn't know what to expect. I took Hayden to Target on Tuesday to let him pick out a toy in advance to take with us. I wasn't sure if I would need incentives to get him to cooperate.

We got to the room and the technician was GREAT! He had Hayden talking about Transformers and Bumblebee. Hayden talked and talked but they became friends, so he had Hayden completely cooperating. I have decided I want to take that guy on all future doctor and hospital appointments. He was amazing!

Hayden thought he was so cool being all hooked up. He loves it when they let him help getting himself ready for tests by putting on the stickers or machines. I was just glad I was getting superhero poses instead of tears.
Hayden actually thought the mask was cool and he sounded like Darth Vader with it on.
He was so funny on his tests. I kept wanting to get to the "next level". He loved it as they raised the treadmill higher and faster. He felt like he was playing a video game and conquering the next level. He kept saying, "Bring it on". He had the doctor, technician and me and Julie busting up laughing!
At one point, as Hayden was running, he saw a spot on the treadmill and for whatever reason in his head, he thought it would be a good idea to jump. The tech about had a heart attack himself as they are doing the running portion and Hayden out of the blue jumps. Luckily he caught Hayden but I think it scared the tech more than it even scared me. Oh, Hayden, you are so funny! They got him going again and he did fantastic!
I handled it pretty well, only when he was holding on and begging them to stop did the test get to me a little. Luckily, he didn't have to hold on long at that level of intensity.
I only have preliminary test results back, but so far, so good! His heart looks strong and his endurance looks good. I was so relieved. I was thrilled his heart is still beating strong and so happy that Hayden cooperated and survived the tests!
Every visit to the cardiologist reminds me of what a true miracle my boy is. I feel so grateful that he is here and love the person he is and is becoming. It may sometimes be an adventure but I sure love this ride that we are on!

3 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

He does look like a superhero! Was that the first test like that he had to do? Will he have to do those periodically? So does that clear him for sports and whatnot? Am I asking enough questions?

Jerlyn said...

Okay Jamie-yes, this is the first stress test/treadmill test. He goes in for EKG/Ultrasounds/Echos every year. He will now start having to do these tests annually, as well. He has been cleared for sports. His ticker is looking good! I was very relieved after the tests!

Pallets and Pearls said...

What a strong little boy. I'm glad it went well. And I LOVE your quote in your header. That is soo true!