Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cupcakes, 7 Layer Dip and Priesthood Blessings.

I was headed into another outpatient surgery and was given a priesthood blessing. In this blessing, I was told to become friends and really show appreciation to the surgeons. As I did this, I would become so close to them that I would be like family and they would grow to love me and do anything for me.

With Lisa being here, she thought we would be best off to make 7 Layer Mexican dip and chips and Jodi made boxes of her gourmet cupcakes.

If I could adequately express the looks you get sitting in a surgeons office with all this food... it was priceless and brought so much joy, even though I was headed in for surgery.

As I handed the platter of dip and chips and cupcakes, I thanked the office staff and nurses for their kindness, the surgeon just looked at us. We were put in a room and the surgeon walked in asking what was going on. We expressed our gratitude. Thomas thanked him for not only helping to fix what is wrong but for also figuring out the problems but being understanding and reassuring to me. The surgeon walked out with tears in his eyes. He truly felt the gratitude that we felt for him.

I was prepped for the procedure that was about to occur. Thomas then gave the surgeon 3 boxes of cupcakes with three thank you cards for each of the surgeons to take home. After lots of thanks, each surgeon came in to thank us.

At one point, I looked up.... all three surgeons were in the room, eating chips/dip and cupcakes. I had indeed become more like family. As the surgeon spoke of this and upcoming surgeries that he was planning on doing, it felt as if the entire room was filled with the Holy Ghost. The surgeon said, no, if we handle things this way, the following will occur. Then, the surgeons began to come up with different solutions/surgeries that may work.

It was the most heartwarming few moments realizing that they were being edified and inspired by the Holy Ghost as to how to go forward with my treatment....I had tears.... joyful and thankful tears.

And, although, the surgery and all the needles hurt. The pain was drowned out by the feelings of gratitude for the miracle that I had just watched unfold on my behalf. The love I felt from a loving Heavenly Father was indescribable. I felt the love of a surgeon who was intently watching and carefully trying to identify the abnormalities within my body. Yes, I may be struggling and trying to fight these infections and problems inside my body.... yet, I have been surrounded by the Lord's love and he has put incredible people in place to take care of me. The love I have felt for me has been so very humbling.

No comments: