Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ma'Kayla update

It has been such a rough month for Ma'Kayla. She was transferred to U of A Medical Center on Wednesday night. Everyone was so much more hopeful than they had been at the hospital on Tuesday night. The mood was one of hope and answered prayers. She was so sick yet was being moved hospitals to receive the much needed liver transplant.

Thursday morning bad news came in. She was too sick, too unstable to receive a liver transplant. A living donor was completely out of the question. Prayer, fasting and sheer intervention from the Lord was needed to save her little life. I called Jodi, Jake, Suzi and quickly arranged for Joyce to pick up Hayden. We all headed down to Tucson to be with all the Bair's. I offered so many prayers to my Father in Heaven as to what comfort I could give, what hope I could offer and how to be of any help at all. Sweet family prayers were offered, Ma'Kayala was given more sweet and comforting priesthood blessings and there were kind words exchanged by so many.

In the moments while I sat alone, just thinking, I asked the Lord what his plans for my sweet 5 year old niece must be. How could taking her back to him now be of a benefit? Couldn't the family learn more from him performing a miracle and letting her live her life? What was her purpose on this earth? Trying to wrap my head around death is hard, but around a 5 year old that I love dying???? I wasn't sure how to do that.

Tears were shed, lots of hugs given and late that night we headed back home, unsure how Ma'kayla could possibly pull out of this. The poor little girl couldn't move, had a completely failing liver and amonia levels that were high enough to cause death.

Friday, she had a better day. My amazement was that on Saturday afternoon I received a call that Ma'kayla, sat up, ate and recognized people. I was in shock. A good shock but utter amazement. The Lord has worked a miracle in this little girl's life. She isn't out of the woods yet, but she is holding on. The Lord is showing his love, mercy and his ability to completely perform miracles today. I am grateful for HIS love and mercy! I am very, very grateful!

No comments: