Saturday, February 21, 2009

Life is fragile

Feb 19th at 3am, my phone rings and I jump. Suzi is on the phone and says that she is at the hospital with her brother, Dave. Thomas and I rush to the hospital and get there to find out that Dave has just had a massive heart attack. The doctors are still trying to revive him. After 20 mins of continuous CPR, Dave comes back and regains a pulse. We are all relieved as he starts getting better over the next couple of hours. As they are trying to transport Dave, via life flight, Dave's heart stops beating. They work on him for over an hour and pronounce him deceased. Meantime, Suzi and her parents had already driven to the heart hospital. The doctors come out and tell me and Thomas that Dave has died and to notify the family. I can't do it. The hospital told them to come back.

My heart broke as I sat there and watched Suzi have to deal with the death of her brother. He was only 35, healthy and extremely active. I have been friends with Dave for over 14 years. I loved Dave like a brother. But, my heart has broken for Suzi and her family.

Yesterday, as we sat at the funeral home making arrangements, it really hit me how fragile life is. I hate funeral homes, morturaries, hospitals and any places of illness and death. I am amazed at how much smells, sights, can take you zooming back to another place and time and can transport you like you were there yesterday. I could see my mom, vividly laying in her casket. It was a very surreal experience.

I have held Hayden a little tighter the past couple of days, leaned on Thomas and experienced so much love and support from so many family and friends. These are the moments that I will take with me. The goodness in people, the support and friendship that is lent at this time of loss. I more clearly see the Plan of Salvation and the Lord's plan in each of our lives.

I have had the opportunity to teach Hayden about death, the plan of salvation and why we are on this earth. I told Hayden that Jesus needed Dave more than we did, so he called him home. Hayden's response, "What if Jesus decides he needs you? What will happen to me?" After a discussion about heaven for a while... Hayden decides that may be a better place to be than here and decides he would rather live with Grandma Sue and Jesus and I will be okay without him. Oh my little bug! I sure love him! I treasure my relationships and am thankful for another day with my family.

1 comment:

Jamie Jo said...

That's so sad. We should appreciate each moment of each day so much more then we do.