Monday, May 11, 2009

Diagnosis

I have really struggled as what to post on Hayden. But, we are in the process of receiving different diagnosis' back on him.

I want to start by saying, I love my boy, all of us uniqueness and all of his little quirks. They are so endearing to me. I wouldn't trade him for a million other kids. I would choose him, even with his challenges.

Hayden was born to this earth with challenges. Poor kid, started out with medical issues, all health related. Since then, he has struggled in meeting his developmental milestones. Some say because of the medical, some maybe because of the meds, or whatever. It is what it is.

In addition to struggling with his cardiac and nuerological issues, he now will have to deal with autism, specifically PDD-NOS, which he is on the Autism spectrum. He also has several other challenges, particularly sensory processing disorder, low/no muscule tone effecting fine & gross motor skills, and others.

So, my big question in this is where do I go from here? I want to get him all the help he needs, without "labeling" him but doing the most good for him. Challenges to that, they played off most of his delays due to health issues when he was young. Granted, the doctors main focus to keep Hayden alive, yet they missed key factors in diagnosing and treating him young. With all of the budget cuts lately, I am being given two options. His diagnosis qualifies him for treatment, but he is surpassing levels for help, so I can back off treatments and DDD will pick him up, once he gets any worse. Or, we move forward, with the diagnosis without any help, because we have already helped him so much. Oh, the decisions. I think we will continue to do self-pay as long as we are able, but oh is it expensive. Oh the politics of it all, that part drives me crazy. It is discouraging to hear that we have done too much for him.

So, my little Haydi bug has his challenges cut out for him for sure. But, you couldn't ask for a more loving, Christlike little boy. In someways he is so beyond his years. I am so thankful for him and to a loving Heavenly Father that obviously puts a lot of trust into me. I don't feel like I am fit for the challenge somedays, but I have learned that those the Lord entrusts he also prepares a way for. So, I keep praying that I will know what to do to help my sweet boy. Thanks for all the encouraging words from so many of you while I have spent the last year of my life at tons of different doctors, trying to sort thru all of this medical and diagnostic red tape.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not entirely sure what any of those medical terms really mean but it sounds like a challenge. If anyone can handle it, you can. I can tell through all your postings that he LOVES and adores his Mom. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Thanks for sharing all of this. Its hard from a distance to have any clue what is going on in families lives.

Jamie Jo said...

Jer, I'm so sorry. That must be so hard. I can't imagine. I know how tough it was to see Daniel in pain for a day, and the frustration at not being able to make it all better with a kiss. I can't comprehend the stress of having that be your life with your children for so many years. I don't know a lot about Autism, but I know it's hard. There are a few boys in my ward with Asperger's, and they seem quirky, but I think that is pretty high functioning. Hayden sounds like such a smarty pants. You'll have to explain to me exactly what it means for him. I wish I could do more to help, but I hope my thoughts and prayers will be enough to add to your sense that people care about you and your family.

Connie said...

Ahhh Jerlyn...sounds like some tough stuff you're going through...but, what a blessing that sweet little boy seems to be! So fortunate to have you as his mom...always in his corner!

TAMMY ELIZABETH said...

That is a lot of challenges for such a little guy! You are such a great mom--I bet with your fun personality you light up his world. My prayers are with you and your little man.

Monroe Family said...

How lucky is this little boy to have such a great, proactive mom?!?!? I know it's no accident that he was sent to you. I will definitely keep you guys in my prayers!

Jodi Davis said...

Hayden has his struggles there is no doubt about it, but I can guarantee that there is no better mom out there than you. You are an incredible mother and woman. You can handle everything that life throws at you. I realize that it is easy to get down on yourself, but always know that you are strong because the Lord is on your side. MANY people and spirits are on your side lifting you up when you can no longer bear it on your own. Don't try to do this on your own, let those around you help you. You know, it takes a village to raise a child. I am always here, day and night. I don't always know what to do to help, but I will do anything that I can. I love you, Jer and I love Hayden as well. You are doing an amazing job with him!

Darce said...

Wow Jer! The politics have got to be SO frustrating! I'm so glad you and Hayden have such a loving relationship--that's got to make everything bearable. What a great mom you are! And, what a sweet boy you have! My prayers are with you and your family.