Friday, February 5, 2010

Lessons learned from the River


Going down the river was an interesting experience for me.

I learned that the river is a lot like life... low points, high points, crazy times, fun, laughter and scary intense moments.

I learned that my Heavenly Father loves me and is constantly trying to teach me. Even if when I am listening most is on a river in Costa Rica. He uses life to teach me and help me to hear what he is trying to say.

I learned he inspires, prompts and guides us.

I learned a good guide is essential to us returning safely both to dry land and to our Heavenly Father's presence.

As I woke up ready to go on the river rafting excursion, my Dad and Bonnie were extremely worried that I was going to go. I laughed, told them I was fine. My dad insisted that I walk the 12 foot waterfall. I laughed at him and said ok. I am a wimp and don't like doing anything scary or intense. I gladly agreed to walk it and told the guide my decision. I also enjoyed teasing the rest of the gang that I must be dad's favorite as he was most concerned of keeping me safe.

The guide took us down the river, and he decided without telling me that he thought I could do the waterfall. As we went down it unexpectedly, I could feel the fear, nervousness and intense feeling that something was wrong. I prayed for safety and peace. As our boat toppled down the waterfall, I was thrown out.

I came up for a breath and the undertow caught me, and kept pulling me back under the water and against the cliffs. I couldn't breath, I couldn't get out and I couldn't find my way up. What was only a matter of minutes felt like hours. As I could feel the air being depleted, I was scared and praying for help and the strength to pull myself out of this situation.

At that moment, I felt someone literally lifting my body to the top of the water and pushing me to the top. As I gasped for breath, I felt such appreciation for whomever had pushed me to the top. I clung to the rope as the water was still beating upon me. I searched for Thomas, now panicked about him and his safety. I then feel him next to me. My sweet husband had found me and pushed me to the rope and helped me to get my next breath.

As the events unfolded over the course of the next few minutes, I felt such gratitude. For my sweet husband, for Josh who immediatly jumped in to try and help me. For a dad who was teary eyed and so grateful to see me. For a loving Heavenly Father that helped me out of this scary situation.

I have reflected back on this situation many times since that moment. I have looked for the sweet lessons that the Lord was able to teach me thru this situation. I am grateful for him. His peace. His love. His constant companionship. And, for answering my prayers in a river in Costa Rica.

And, I don't think I will be river rafting with any 12 foot drops anytime soon. :)

3 comments:

Connie said...

I love this post! Thank you!

Jodi Davis said...

It was one thing when you told me about this, but entirely different seeing pictures. I am seriously sitting here holding back tears. Don't scare me like that. You aren't allowed to get hurt. We need each other too much. No more crazy adventures for you!

Monroe Family said...

I agree with Jodi!! NO more crazy adventures...I was fighting back the tears too! Love you Jer!