Monday, May 26, 2014

Exploring with the Dads

Thomas and Troy got up on Saturday morning and took the kids for a hike over to the creek for them to play. Jodi and I stayed back and enjoyed the peace, quiet and beautiful weather. We sat outside and talked. I could talk to her all day. She is such an amazing sister and incredible joy and gift in my life.

The kids loved exploring Oak Creek, being with their dads and just being together.
Troy dared the kids to take the Polar Plunge challenge. Brigham and Brooklyn took the dare for $5 each. Of course, Hayden and Talmage, who despise cold water, would have nothing to do with it.
They looked freezing. Crazy kids. I love that they are always up for an adventure and a challenge.
Cute Talmage didn't even want to get his shoes wet. He thought his dad's lap was a much safer place to be.
Exploring, planning and just becoming one with nature. I wish I could escape this heat and stay there for a month... just letting the kids be kids, to discover, roam and breathe in the fresh nature air.
Talmage bailed and headed back to the cabins, safe with mom and Aunt Jer, as soon as he could. He is not ready for all their high adventures yet. He is still content to be home with the moms. Which I secretly, absolutely love!
The kids had to spend their Polar Plunge challenge money at the little store on the property. Yes, Hayden is eating a treat, although he did not take the plunge. How did he score then? By simply saying to me, "Mom, I didn't give into peer pressure. I knew I would hate it. And I wasn't sure if you would get mad. Should I be punished for not giving in to peer pressure, or rewarded for being true to myself?" How was I supposed to argue with that. Absolutely. I always want to encourage him to walk his own path, head high and secure in his decisions. I never want him to succumb to peer pressure. My reply, "Absolutely Hayden. Here is your $5 to buy yourself a treat at the store. Although you do realize we have a bazillion treats inside, don't you?" Why is it a treat from a country corner store brings much more excitement than the same treat sitting on the counter? I'm not sure, but they LOVED it!
Hayden and Brooklyn chose ice cream...yummy.
Brigham spent his money on flavored sunflower seeds and bottle candy.
Talmage went with an old classic and stand by KitKat.
I love how each of their little personalities shine through in all they do. Oh how each of these cute little mugs melt my heart. Take me back! I loved each and every moment.

No comments: