Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Jodi's present

I tried to think of the perfect birthday present for Jodi. She loves books, but no time to read. She could use a night out with Troy, but no babysitter on the west side of town yet. She is buried in homeschooling and doctor appointments for her kids. Decorating her new home. Young women presidency duties. Spends every night at the ball field and more. 

I thought the perfect present would be 24 hours sans kids. 24 hours of not hearing, "Mooooommmmm!"  24 hours of no whining. 24 hours of peace. 24 hours of calmness. 24 hours of having things in the same place you left them. 24 hours of no messes. 24 hours of nothingness. 

But, how to pull it off? She is in Glendale. Ummm. I can't hardly watch Hayden, much less 3 extras. No matter how much I love these precious kids or amazing sister, I couldn't pull it off alone. 

So after dinner at Mi Amigo's, Jodi spent the night. The next day we all hung out in the morning. Jodi had a lunch one with some of her friends to celebrate her birthday. The kiddos stayed with me. Suzi sent Hailey to take the three oldest to the reptile store. Hayden needed to to for scouts and entertainment and break for me. Tman and I watched movies. Then Jodi took her munchkins to visit friends for a couple of hours while I slept. She brought the kids back and so began our 24 hours of us and them. 

First of all, I bribed Hayden. I told him he could earn babysitting money. He helped to see needs. He diffused situations. Phoe played with each of the kids. He helped his dad when he got home.  He was worth his weight in gold. We played. We went to the $ store to buy balloons and streamers and plates for Brigham's birthday celebration. We then went to Baskin Robbins for yummy ice cream. Then back home for a movie party and popcorn and slumber party in the family room. My goal: tire them out and hopefully they will sleep well. I went to bed before they did absolutely worn out. With nothing left to spare. 

Thomas helped get kids down. They slept. Of course, the morning Jodi was here, all kids slept in until after 8 am with the younger ones closer to 9 am. When I am going solo, all awake by 6 am, including my sleeper Talmage. So our day began bright and early with asthma attacks and tired kids. 

By 9 am I was ready for a nap. Good thing I have so many recruitments. Lisa came and took all four at 9:30 am. She took them to the $ store. Gave them each $5 to spend. They went to the store to make Jodi a birthday cake and Brigham wanted one for his early birthday party. Lisa then took the kids a
Back to her house. The kids made and decorated 2 cakes. One for Jodi and one for Brigham. 

I kept Brigham in the afternoon but one on one, they all are great. 

The afternoon consisted of Lisa and Chad taking all of the kids to Josh's pool to swim. They had a ball. I slept long and hard. 

When they got back, Suzi brought pizza for dinner. Whe took Brigham to the store to buy a birthday present. Talmage and I watched a movie while Brooklyn and Hayden played Minecraft. 

Thomas was on his way home. Lisa was taking the kids back to Jodi. I hugged them all, made it to the couch and completely crashed. 

I love these kids so much. But man sakes alive,  I was exhausted. But I survived. 

I am so grateful for all the back up I have. I am grateful for Thomas and Lisa and Suzi and Hayden and Hailey for stepping in to help. I could have never done it alone. 

I think it was the perfect present for Jodi. I loved having the kids at my house. 

Happy birthday, Jodi! You are so loved. 

No comments: