Sunday, May 24, 2015

Jodi birthday

For Jodi's birthday, Lisa and I went and met her and Talmage at Mi Amigo's for lunch. I loved each moment with them. Oh. Walking in and seeing this cute little face melts my heart. He gets so excited to see me. He is my precious little buddy. I wish I could freeze him here forever. He loves me. He adores me. And words cannot adequately express how much I cherish, adore and love him. 

During lunch, Talmage went and got me a present aka candy. When I went to the bathroom, Talmage opened the bathroom door for me and waited so he could open it again. He was so tender and sweet. 

Them there is my sister. My joy in life. She is one of my dearest and most cherished blessings. She would do anything for anyone. 

I will always rememeber May 15, 1979. My mom was in the hospital and I was so excited to find out of a year praying and pleading every day on my knees in prayer and begging for a sister would pay off. I was so anxious that my dad let me stay home from school with my grandparents so I could get a call right away if I had a sister. I think he was also nervous if it were another brother that I just might have a melt down.  (I love Josh and. Jake and JD. I do) 

I waited eagerly by the phone. I remember it ringing and I took a deep breath and grabbed it. It was my dad. He sounded happy. No pep talk. Just "Jerlyn, you got your baby sister. It's a girl!" Then he went on and said, "I don't know who I am happier for. You, me or your mom." Definitely me! 

I waited outside when they brought her home. I would wait until my mom and dad would go to bed and I would take my pillow and blanket and lay next to her crib.  I would rush home from school to hold her. I would beg to change diapers and when she got older, I fed her bottles. I dressed her. I held her. My life revolved around her. 

My friends quit becoming as important and Jodi took over the biggest part of my heart and life. I just wanted to be with her. As she grew from infant to toddler, my mom used to tell me that Jodi had two moms. I was second mom and loved my role. 

As we moved home, Jodi and I had rooms right across from one another. She was about Talmage's age and I thought that was too far away from her. She used her room as a toy room and slept with me every night. We would sing and I would read her Brer bear and Brer Rabbit stories in the funny voices. My friends and I would dress Jodi up and do her hair and makeup. 

As she got older, my mom got sick. Jodi became my side kick wherever I went whether to friends houses, school with me and even on dates. She attended most Friday night football games with me and loved hanging with me and my friends. I remember teaching her to dance, singing loudly in the car and of course going and getting treats. 

My guy friends would call and ask what Jodi and I were doing and we would double. My date and a younger brother with me and Jodi. And I loved it. Jodi attended yearbook deadlines with me. She went where I went. She was my bestie from the time she was born. My world was complete. I had my sister. 

The time when on and I continued to love her. My mom got sick and I rememeber going to Jodi's parent luncheon. I went to mother /daughter parties with her and would haul my mom. We shopped. We had a great time. After my mom died, I even did more and more with Jodi. 

Jodi and I were not only blessed to be sisters but best friends. From the time she was little, I cared more what Jodi thought than anyone else. If I broke up with a guy,  Jodi had my back. If things went right she is the first one I would tell. I cried to her. I laughed with her. I trusted her. Together. We made it thru many challenging circumstances. We had each other's backs. Always. 

Leaving Jodi behind as I went to BYU was the hardest thing I had to do. I knew I needed to go. But how? How to leave my other half behind. It was a very difficult transition for me. And Jodi. I missed her dearly every single day. I loved spring breaks and summer vacations and fall and winter breaks. Even a lot of long weekends, my dad would fly. Jodi up to see me. We spent every summer together in the mountains of Utah exploring and having fun. 

I loved the summer. Jodi spent at BYU. I had a really hard time letting her go to U of A. I missed her so much. Then she got married and moved to California. I loved visiting her. But would cry the entire way back to Arizona each time I would say goodbye. 

One of the happiest days of my life was when she moved back to Arizona. Then we moved around the corner from her. For seven years we lived around the corner from one another. I loved seeing her there so often. We became so close. We have had so many memories and so many good times. 

Then she moved to Glrndale a year ago and I thought I'd die without her. But. My sweet sister continues to call me daily. She drives to see me. She comes and stays over. I go there when I can. But distance doesn't separate. I still cherish each day I get to spend with her. She eases my trials. She strengthens my resolve to be better. She makes the good times better. She encourages me and believes in me. 

I was so happy to get to see my precious sister on her birthday. I loved chatting with her and just laughing and talking. She always brings a smile on my face. And makes me find the strength to keep going. 

Happy birthday to my precious sister. One of the best moms out there. She gives and serves and strengthens and loves with all of her heart. I am so grateful that of all the sisters out there, I was blessed with the best. 

No comments: