Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I'm Back

The last two weeks feels like an absolute whirlwind. Not only physically but mentally. Lots has happened and I feel incredibly grateful for my wonderful life.

Jodi and I flew up to Utah last Thursday to go to Dave's viewing and funeral. We were incredibly giggly on the way to Utah and just relieved to have some girl time without all the responsiblity of the family. We laughed as we tried to drive on a steep hill and freaked out a little, kept getting lost and just talked non-stop. By the time we got to the viewing, the somberness of the situation really set in and the rest the weekend was more serious.

Dave had a lot of people that loved him and lived a great life. My favorite moments of the funeral were spending time with Suzi's amazing nephews, Coop and Ollie. During the funeral, Ollie wanted me. I loved that. At one point, he started cracking up laughing really hard. Everyone around started to look, then Ollie yelled, "Dave funny!" Ollie was cracking up about something Dave had done. It was a sweet reassurance that life goes on after death. Ollie gave us lots to smile about. Each of the family was putting something in to the casket... Ollie had golf tees. When it was his turn he threw the golf tees at Dave's head and said, "Play golf Dave!"

I will have tons of fantastic memories of Dave and what a good friend he was. I will always be thankful for how much time he spent with me in the hospital while Thomas was sick. I can still see him sitting there and telling me to sleep that he would make sure all was okay.

I am thankful for all my wonderful friends that make the journey of life so much more worthwhile. As I sat at the funeral and viewing and heard so many wonderful stories of Dave I began to realize that the relationships are so important. And, friends definitely make the journey worthwhile.

3 comments:

Jodi Davis said...

This will definitely be a weekend that I will not soon forget. I enjoyed spending time with you and Suzi. I am very grateful that our husbands kept the kiddos for us so we could be there during this time.

Monroe Family said...

Thanks for the sweet reminder of just how important friends & family are. You always have the best insights.

Darce said...

I'm thankful for good friends like you, Jer!