Saturday, March 20, 2010

New Perspective

First week out of surgery has been a surreal experience. I was blessed for the stars to align and to be able to have a great friend come help me out during surgery. Since the surgery was an emergency, it fell over spring break. Julie had the week off and was able to re-arrange her schedule to come spend the week with me and take care of me. I was absolutely spoiled. We talked, she made gourmet lunches, did my dishes, laundry and took incredibly good care of me along with the help of so many others.

What I didn't realize would happen is how much this week would change me. I was able to sit back and think. I don't stop long enough to do that very often. This surgery and downtime has forced me to be still. I don't know that being still and just listening is something that I am good at or I practice very often. I have learned more about me through talking with Julie than I could have ever imagined.

One day we sat and listened to the I-touch while talking. It was amazing, as different songs came on, how the conversation drifted to the music. I relate better to songs and can explain my thoughts and feelings through songs better than I can thru words. I think it is the melody playing in the background of the lyrics that is so powerful. Anyways, we were listening and the song from Rent came on that talks about how do you measure a life. Wow, has that made me think over the last past couple of days. It has brought back to really think about the meaning to this life and helped me to really evaluate who I am, where I am headed and where I want to be. Each song brought different emotions and feelings. Julie has the GREATEST music and I just want to copy it all.

I can't express the gratitude I feel to Julie and her giving up a week of her life to just help me walk thru not only the surgery, but all of the emotions and feelings that have been tied up with all of these hormones and reasons behind having to go thru this. It was a journey I was so scared of facing, and I have never felt more loved going thru something. I have felt my Heavenly Father's love so close this past week that I could feel like I could physically reach out and touch him. My mom has been close. Julie, along with so many others, has stood by me as I walked this very difficult journey. I now see the light at the end of this tunnel that I have been facing for such a long time. I am eternally grateful for this week.

I am so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father that put things in motion so that this week could happen for me. There was nothing short of a miracle in my life this past month. It amazes me the love that my Father in Heaven has for me. He has taken care of all the details to make my life as incredible as it could possibly be and placed incredible people along my path to walk this life with me.

Thanks, Julie! I am a better person after spending a week with you!

2 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

Jerlyn, I just love you and your amazing faith and your amazing testimony and your amazing gratitude for life. You are truly an example of the believers.

Julie Knapp said...

Jer, it was an amazing week for me too and I am also changed. I didn't realize the song Rent struck you much when it played. It has special significance for me. We'll talk about it sometime -- another talk in the future. :-) Yes the Lord was good to us this week. Love you, my daughter born from my heart.