Sunday, April 24, 2011

Christ's last week

For Family Home Evening this past week, we studied the last week of Christ's life, day by day. It was an amazing experience. I couldn't believe how much Hayden picked up on it....

Wednesday morning we have this conversation:

First-Thomas asked Hayden what he was doing and his response, "Chatting with Jesus". Thomas smiled and came and told me and we just talked about Hayden's openness and relationship with the Savior.

Then Hayden comes in and asks, "Mom, you know how you taught me that Jesus and the Holy Ghost answer our prayers with a feeling or a good feeling in your heart?"
Me: Yes
Hayden: "Can he also answer us by telling something directly to our minds? You know, like we all of a sudden know an answer that we didn't know before?"
Me: Yes, why Hayden?
Hayden: "That just happened to me. I was talking to Jesus about Judas betraying him for 30 pieces of silver and told him that I would never have done that. I told him I needed to invent a time machine and go back and be his disciple instead and then he wouldn't have had to die."
He continued, "And, all of a sudden in my mind, I could hear Jesus say, 'It had to happen. It was part of the plan. Go ask your mom, she will explain it to you.'".
Me: (After a tear and a deep breath). "Absolutely Hayden. People refer to it as 'Enlightening your mind'".
Hayden: "Why didn't you teach me that? And, more importantly, what is the plan that Jesus is talking about?"
For the next 20 minutes we discussed the Atonement and why that it was necessary.

I am so amazed with Hayden and each day I feel the weight of the responsibility of teaching him the truth. I am not sure why Heavenly Father entrusted me with such a sweet boy that just hungers for righteousness and just thirsts to be taught all the gospel truths he can take in. I love the stage he is at and that he is like a little sponge right now soaking it all in. I just keep praying that I will be able to keep one step ahead of him. I sure love my boy!

2 comments:

Connie said...

This post brought tears to my eyes...thanks for sharing!

Jodi Davis said...

I will say it once again, Hayden is an amazing boy and you and Thomas are incredible parents. Can you come teach my kids?