Friday, April 29, 2011

It happened.....

I had my own Easter blessing. I remember sitting in church listening to the Primary children sing and thinking that someday Hayden would be old enough to be on the stand and sing in Primary. We tried to have him participate a couple of times, only to end in a fiasco each time. Most times we couldn't get him up to the pulpit, when we did, screaming, crying and yelling, "Mom".

But, this year was different. I talked to Hayden and tried consoling him as he wiggled and squirmed throught he sacrament. He wrestled and struggled with his desire to do "hard things" and staying comfortably sitting by me. I wanted him to go up but honestly didn't think he ever would. I was struggling with how much to push or was this just something I needed.

When they announced for the Primary children to get up, Hayden took a really deep breath and stood up. My heart felt like it would stop. As I watched him walk up on the stand, Thomas grabbed my hand and I think both of us were scared to even breathe. We didn't know if he would stay, face his fears or run back defeated. I was praying so hard for my son that he would have the courage to do this hard thing so that I could teach him the joy that comes from overcoming something that we fear so much.

As Hayden stayed on the stand and the music started, I saw my dear sweet son, open his mouth and he sang. He sang the entire song. He stood up straight. He stood and even smiled when it was over.

I looked over at Thomas and he had tears in his eyes. He gripped my hand tighter and tighter as Hayden sang and relaxed.

I was so proud of Hayden! He overcame one of his greatest fears. I was such a proud mom sitting by a very touched and proud dad. And, yes, all three of us had an amazing talk about overcoming "hard things".

And, all those years of imagining what it would be like having my own son up there singing... it was even better than I ever imagined! It was my own Easter blessing!

4 comments:

Jodi Davis said...

Why do you always do that to me?! I am sitting here in tears and you have already told me the story before. I am so proud of Hayden. What a wonderful moment for all of you. I know how much this means to you. Now he needs to help Brigham get over his fears.

Jamie Jo said...

You're a big jerk. You make me cry all the time. ;) Seriously though, that is awesome. I love when the Primary kids sing. They make me cry a lot. Way to go Hayden!

Jacque said...

I'm so proud of Hayden! I know how you're feeling! There is nothing better than watching them up there singing!

Linny Lou said...

I can't lie...You made me cry too!! I'm so proud of him!! What a GREAT Easter blessingu