Monday, May 7, 2012

Bishop's house

Our amazing bishop and his family had us over for dinner last night. We had a delicious dinner that was extremely yummy. I love this family and the good, good people that they are. We ate, talked, ate dessert, talked more, shared testimonies, talked of experiences and had a marvelous time.

I am so lucky to have such incredibly strong people in my life. I have these spiritual giants all around me. I love hearing of their stories, their struggles, their trials and challenges and how they have conquered their own Goliaths. As I listen to their stories, I am inspired, I am strengthened and I find greater determination to move forward and find the strength to keep going.

Hayden was so fun at the bishop's house. Bishop was in awe as Hayden recalled story after story that the Bishop had shared with him previously, during sacrament talks, during visits to our home, in the Bishop's office, etc. Hayden remembered accounts given of the Bishop's missionary days and brought them up in the correct point of conversation. I LOVE that he is getting old enough that he was able to sit and listen to gospel conversation and participate actively in the discussion for several hours. He asked appropriate questions, input vital gospel principals and definitely followed our entire conversation and stayed with us on a gospel level. I was in awe of my little guy.

At one point, I looked over and him and saw him as he really is. I saw him wearing a missionary tag and teaching others about his beliefs, I saw him as a father conduction family home evening with his own children and then saw him counseling with and helping others to understand the truths contained in the holy scriptures. Tears welled up in my eyes. I know he is only mine for a short time. Then, he too will be off and be about his Father in Heaven's work. I will be so proud of him when he goes, but my heart will ache dearly for my sweet little boy.

Yes, last night I was blessed to see Hayden as the Lord sees him and as he will someday soon be. The weight of the challenge fell squarely on my shoulders as I realized that I am in the process of trying to help prepare and teach my own future spiritual giant. Hayden amazes me and I love when the Lord allows me to see a glimpse of who he really is. He is a son of God. He is a future holder of the priesthood. He is a future father, husband, support, provider, comforter and witness of the Savior.

As we left the home of our dear Bishop, I found myself renewing my efforts, finding a deeper strength, possessing a greater desire to spend the time to help Hayden become....and obtain the heights that he was sent here to climb. I have already had him for 10 years. I only have 9 more years until he will no longer be my little boy, but he will become a servant of our Heavenly Father. The time is short, the pressure is great, the responsibility on me is tremendous. However, my Father in Heaven sent him to me because he knew that I was up for this challenge and incredible blessing. It is the greatest gift I have been given and I am so grateful for the opportunity to prepare Hayden for his mission here in life. And, I couldn't love the fact more that Thomas is standing with me, his desire and determination as strong as mine to help Hayden to become all he was sent here to achieve. Together, with the Savior's help, I am sure Hayden will reach his potential and become a source of strength and hope to so many others.

No comments: