Monday, May 7, 2012

Canning Chicken

Jodi ordered some insane amount of chicken. Unbelievable amounts. I think 50 pounds each. Anyways, we canned, made meals, cut up chicken for absolutely hours. That was only 1/2 of the chicken. I have never seen such HUGE chicken breasts. They were humongo. It was well worth it when in the end, we each had 21 jars of canned chicken, 8 pounds each of cut up chicken ready for quick meals and 15 freezer/crockpot meals already marinated and put together, ready to split open and throw in the crock pot.

Jodi is inspiring me to get my food storage, learn to can and do all things domestic. She has since gone on to make jam, etc. I am just proud that I was able to conquer chicken. Next, we are going to buy a pig and share the meat.

Thomas and I got a steal of a deal on hamburger meat and made up 5 meatloafs, packaged hamburger meat in 1 pound packages and even cooked some of it up,  so it made for easy meals.

Instead of making jam with my flat of strawberries, I cut them up and froze them for smoothies. We couldn't pass up the price of $2 for a flat of strawberries. Yep, that is what we paid.

I am actually loving this along with the other goodies in the freezer.... chopped garlic, sliced green onions, and seasoning mixes. Easier to do all at once and then so wonderful to just have on hand and ready to be utilized at any moment.



2 comments:

Jodi Davis said...

It was a fun day even though it was a ton a work. And I love that it is so easy to grab a meal now.

Pallets and Pearls said...

What a lot of work, But so worth it in the end! That's awesome!