Thursday, August 9, 2012

IEP Meeting-Cambridge Academy

What a week... started out with major testing at Mayo Clinic and ended with an IEP meeting for Hayden at a new school. I was unsure how things were going at his new school. Poor kid, so many challenges and obstacles to deal with right now. As if nothing was going on in our lives, I decided to rip Hayden from his place of stability where everyone loved him and put him in a new school where he has 5 different teachers instead of one. He switches classes. He is in a new environment. There are new rules and new people to meet. Poor boy.

There is no way I would have switched Hayden schools without the overwhelming feeling that Cambridge Academy is where my boy needed to be. So, the three of us took a leap of faith and with more courage than I have ever seen anyone muster, Hayden has attempted making Cambridge his new school. He has done an INCREDIBLE job! I am so proud of him.

I requested a meeting and Cambridge all came together. All of Hayden's teachers were present along with the principal, the special education teacher and special education director. I was nervous... it was my first IEP meeting without people I knew in the room. My heart was pulled to Hayden and I felt terrible for placing him in this new situation.

As I spoke, I could tell the mood in the room lightened. Yes, I definitely want my son to receive all that he can to help him succeed. Yes, I know the law and what schools are required to provide him with. I also want to be and realize that we are all team players. During the meeting, I could see one by one, each other educator in the room begin to relax and realize that if Hayden is happy and learning and growing, that I am happy and will go overboard to help out.

The Spirit was so strong. I was able to express Hayden's needs clearly and accurately. I was able to ask for helps for him and receive more than I even bargained for. Each teacher had already begun to really care for Hayden and all had felt his sweet spirit and his goodness. One teacher summed it up when she said, "There sure is something special about Hayden. I cannot pinpoint it, but I know when I am around him that I want to be better!" Wow, what a phenomenal compliment.

Hayden will receive what he needs... unlimited bathroom breaks, modified homework, verbal testing, modified assignments, extra speech and OT services. What they gave him that I am shocked is that the last hour of the day, Hayden will be with one teacher to four students. Unbelievable. They will review all lessons that day. They will do homework as a group. They will work on the agenda together and review anything he missed. Really? That is an extra 20+ hours a month of semi-individualized help.Fantastic. We also discussed his handwriting issues due to strength... the principal said, No problem... we will get him a laptop. Anything else?

He will still receive everything he had at Liberty Arts plus this extra 20 hours a month, or more.

I feel so blessed. I walked out realizing how much my Father in Heaven is indeed in charge and directing our lives. I was again reminded that if I turn over my life to Him, that He will do far greater things than I could ever imagine. And, oh how much that He loves my boy... I am in awe.

As I walked into my home the song of the hymn, "I Stand All Amazed" flooded my mind an soul.

1. I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me,
Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me.
I tremble to know that for me he was crucified,
That for me, a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died.

[Chorus]
Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!

2. I marvel that he would descend from his throne divine
To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine,
That he should extend his great love unto such as I,
Sufficient to own, to redeem, and to justify.

3. I think of his hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt!
Such mercy, such love and devotion can I forget?
No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat,
Until at the glorified throne I kneel at his feet.

Blessed.... Grateful... in Awe.... appreciative......loved.... What a great life!

No comments: