Sunday, June 15, 2014

ADHD diagnosis

Most would look at that heading and think I was getting ready to discuss. Hayden or Brigham or any other child. I am in close proximity with that struggles with this childhood disease. 

On the contrary, I am talking about me. 

I honestly would have never guessed that I had ADHD. (I can only imagine the comments coming in right now from those I love)

How I came to understand this about myself starts months previously. 

Suzi called a couple of months ago regarding a new testing and treatment she had heard of and told me she thought Hayden would benefit greatly from it. That I should check it out. So I googled the neurofeedback and biofeedback questions. As I read the info, I immediately thought of Brigham and called Jodi. Sure enough, Brigham, Hayden and I are now all being seen by this doctor. 

As we researched more on this doctor, we came to find out what can be discovered thru the world of brain mapping and testing. These neurofeedback doctors are having phenomenal results with ADHD, Autism, Aspbergers and learning disabilities. As I spoke with the doctor, I also learned the remarkable success they are achieving with stroke victims. 

After much deliberation, answered prayers and a generous supporter,  Hayden and. I were seen by this doctor on Friday. 

By completing a brain map, the doctor can pinpoint and identify all things the brain is struggling with in its neurological system. It can pinpoint depression vs anxiety. Whether it is a garden variety anxiety or severe, autism vs. OCD vs ODD vs SPD vs ADHD and ADD. They can tell the type of depression and the medications that would be beneficial. Absolutely amazing. 

Up until this point with Hayden (and me), it is like we are playing spinning darts. I try to pick up a dart. I aim. I fire. Problem is... I am aiming to hit the bullseye, when in reality, it is the outer edge that is out of balance, not the core. 

I was so excited when I began to understand the possibilities. 

As we spoke with the doctor about Hayden, he asked very specific questions bpa out birth, constipation, sleep issues and more. With each question, he was nailing Hayden and all issues he deals with head on. He said that the medication used to keep Hayden alive at birth by bypassing the heart, was still in its system. Because if that, part of his brain is asleep or shut down. The connectors and receptors are not working in certain areas. They simply (not doing so) can be restarted. Oh the possibilities that entered my mind. I was ecstatic. 

So Hayden and I headed to this new neurofeedback doctor, bright and early on Friday morning. Ready to start our new adventure. Ready to begin. Excited about the possibilities and hopeful for an even brighter tomorrow. 

Let this new journey begin...keep posted. 


No comments: