Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Baptisms

Saturday was a day that I had been looking forward to for a very long time.

Almost a year ago, I started selling items on the online garage sale sites. We needed money and people wanted our things. It has worked out so well for us.

Not only have we been able to raise money by selling items online, I have also had the opportunity to meet some amazing people. I have been very blessed that many of those have now become my friends.

One of these ladies that bought things from me online was Kerri. Who would have known that a Star Wars Luke Skywalker costume and a star wars shooter could have put events in motion to unfold the way they have.

Last September, I listed different Halloween costumes of ours for sale. Immediately, Kerri sent a reply that she was interested in Luke Skywalker. She decided to meet at Thomas' office. At the last minute, her husband decided to come. Thomas and Shane sat and talked, as Shane used to work where Thomas does. Kerri and I spoke after and realized how many things we have in common.

In November, she was excited to buy several of Hayden's old toys and clothes from us. We were scheduled to meet. When she came, the trunk of the car would not open and we could not get access to the things she wanted to purchase. We struggled and struggled with that trunk. As we were moving, I was cleaning out more things that did not fit into our home. As I was sorting thru some books, I thought she may like some of the books I had on sensory processing and autism. I put them in a bag, didn't think much of it and was just going to give them to her, as we had spent many night awake and talking while she was dealing with a struggling child and me struggling to breathe. As I further went thru books, I picked up a Book of Mormon reader. I flipped thru it remembering all the times I read it to Hayden, and all the family home evenings that had been given using that book. Good memories. I started to keep it because I am sentimental. Then, a quick thought came and went, Kerri needs this. So far, Kerri and I had talked only a little about the church...I knew she wasn't a member and knew that she was only starting to have questions about God and the Bible. I set it aside and would pray about it.

I invited her to the Gilbert Temple open house. She accepted. We talked a little about temples and the church's views on different things.

On December 21st, we were to meet for her to get the items that had been previously stuck in the truck. I remembered the books. When I grabbed the Book of Mormon reader, I thought, what else do I have and what do I say? I grabbed a copy of the Book of Mormon and wrote my testimony in it. I grabbed the Book of Mormon reader and found the box with the Bible Readers in them and some other children's church books I had. I put them all in with a note. I told her that as I thought of what I could do for her, this was the gift I treasured most in life. It is also the book that I get most of my parenting skills from. It is the book I turn to when I need more patience, more guidance, more understanding, more humility and the list goes on.

December 22nd, I received a message from her thanking me. December 23rd, I received lists and lists of questions. She and her husband had stayed up all night and read all of the children's books cover to cover and had a list of questions. I spent the next several days responding to her questions and the new ones coming in. She craved reading and wanted to understand it all. We talked on families and the Family Proclamation. We talked of Christ. We talked of scriptures. We talked of prophets. We talked and talked and I wrote and wrote. She was just soaking everything she could in.

January came and her questions and comments became a regular part of my week. I looked forward to them and the way they made me think.

I loved hearing of her experience in the temple and how her son wanted them to go into the baptismal font. I loved when missionaries started coming to her home. I loved the day when she asked me about my testimony. I loved the moments we spent learning and researching and reading and growing. I loved her comments and the amazing person my friend was.

Good things happened to their family. He adopted her children. They had great experiences together. She was pregnant and all was going great. Then she developed a medical emergency. Next thing I knew, her baby boy was in critical condition, was over a month early and he was struggling to live. I got a message asking me to pray. I told her about the temple prayer roll. We put their names in. I talked to her about priesthood blessings and explained that Thomas could come to the hospital to help.

Her baby took a turn for the worse. He wasn't doing well. We went to the hospital and Thomas and another family friend of hers, laid their hands on their heads and gave both mom and baby blessings. We also brought up more reading materials. The Book of Mormon became a source of strength to her while she spent over a month in the hospital with her son. I looked forward to our daily talks about the gospel.

Her son grew healthier and with monitors attached, they took him home. While in the hospital, her ward in Casa Grande became involved. They helped with the other children at home, meals, cleaning the house and rides to/from the hospital.

Her daughter attended girls camp and loved it and the relationships she gained with the girls.

Last Saturday, I was blessed to attend the baptism of my friend, Kerri Haggstrom, her husband, Shane and their daughter, Autumn and son, Corbin. It was amazing seeing them all in white. The smiles stretched across their faces. They seriously beamed with excitement and anticipation.

When their 3 year old son walked in, he came right to me, even though I had only met him once. He sat on my lap, we played stickers, we read the Friend. He kept saying, "I want go water. I want Jesus. I want baptized." over and over he repeated the phrase, even making me leave the baptism to "go see Jesus". He was convinced he was there. He was so tender. The spirit so strong.

The baby saw me and smiled his little heart out. All joy.  All smiles. When he saw Thomas, he literally arched his back and coo'ed and tried leaning to Thomas. He smiled at him, he coo'ed, he giggled and just was so cute. His mom looked at me and said, "He must remember the blessing because I have never seen him like this." The smiles continued. Thomas loved it.

When I gave the closing prayer, Lil Red, my three year old buddy, prayed with me.

The joy I felt was indescribable. I am so grateful that I sold Hayden's Luke Skywalker costume. I am grateful I listened to the prompting to send the Book of Mormon reader. I am grateful for a lifelong friendship that has been built. I am grateful that my Father in Heaven allowed me to be a small part of His plan in bringing the greatest gift I have, to the lives of this amazing family.

The Lord is in the details of our lives. He can turn costumes into the gift of the gospel. He can turn a prompting into a gift.

I have a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know He lives. I know He atoned for our sins. I know that He restored His gospel, the same that He established when He walked this earth, to the young boy, Joseph Smith. So that we today, could have the benefit of His gospel. With all of the priesthood ordincances and life saving covenants that He taught when He walked this earth.

God lives. He loves me and each of us. I know that our prayers are heard. Each one. Always. He answers. He answers in the way that is best for us, but He always answers.I testify of His goodness, His mercy and His love. I have been a recipient of all the good that He has given us. I am grateful each and every day for His atonement and gospel. And to be able to share it, has brought immense joy to my life.

As we drove home, I was exhausted and happy. I felt like my feet didn't touch the ground. I knew the Savior had used me as a small part of His plan and that felt amazing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Jer! That is awesome! A family! You couldn't ask for a greater blessing to be involved in! And you get that blessing not even being able to leave your house! The Lord loves you and is very aware of you!

Unknown said...

Wow Jer! That is awesome! A family! You couldn't ask for a greater blessing to be involved in! And you get that blessing not even being able to leave your house! The Lord loves you and is very aware of you!