Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Last Straw

I really want Christmas to be more about giving and the Spirit of Christmas than presents and Santa. Sure, I love Santa and all of the traditions of Christmas but my goal is to teach Hayden and the girls that it is about so much more.

Last night for Family Home Evening, I read the book "The Last Straw". So good. And, we decided as a family to start the same project at our house. We each drew names and for the entire week we have to do secret service for that person. Each time we do, we get to put a straw in Jesus' crib. The goal is that on Christmas Eve, we have a nice soft manger for baby Jesus to sleep in.

It was great to see the excitement in not only Hayden's eyes as he tried to figure out what to do nice but also the excitement it stirred in the girls. I think this is going to bring the true Spirit of Christmas into our home as we all look for ways to serve each other this Christmas season.

Hayden was so cute, right after we drew names, he got up and grabbed his favorite Lucky Charms marshmellows (not the cereal, just the marshmellows) and offered them to Ariyona. He proceeded to try to give her cookies, and being so adorably sweet to her. We all laughed, so much for the surprise, but at least he is wanting to give service.

I can't wait to be able to post some of the great service that will be rendered in our home for the next month. I love this time of year, especially the bond it brings between those we love.

2 comments:

Cassie Simonton said...

I need that book!!! We are desperatly trying to teach the boys the TRUE meaning of Christmas...there a little slow to catch on...maybe the book will help.

Monroe Family said...

What a good idea! We are trying to teach take about giving to others too! By the way, do you know if there is a way to print a blog in the form of a book? It is really the only scrapbooking or journaling I do..so I am looking for a way to print it out. Any ideas? Email me at linnym2004@msn.com. Thanks