Thursday, February 13, 2014

Antibiotic miracle


Tuesday morning I awoke to an abscess in my mouth. Painful. Swollen. As I touched it, it ruptured.

 Illness was rampant within my body. I could feel the illness taking over and fear creeping in. Uncertainty plagued my mind as I battled finding the strength to deal with another problem on the long list of health concerns and struggles, I face daily. 

By afternoon, the reality of my situation had set in. I spoke with JD, my brother, the endodontist in Minnesota. Although he is against the overuse of antibiotics, he agreed my conditions warranted such drastic treatment. Without it, my chances of greater complications arose. 

Thomas called the doctor and a prescription was called in. One tablet of a medication/antibiotic that I have had many many times, caused a horrific reaction. 

During the night, I struggled for breath. Unfortunately, this is such a normal occurrence, I didn't think much about it. Max and I stayed up to battle the fight. I calmly breathe in and out. Repeatedly. Methodically. Establishing a normal rhythm. I know as time ticks, I am closer to help I need. I pray. I ask for strength. To be protected. I didn't think much about it other than I was so thirsty and burning. (I get so many weird symptoms, I honestly tolerate what I can and address those things I cannot.)

By morning, the intensity grew. The burning was brutal. As I tried to walk to the bathroom, I was keenly aware that my tongue was so swollen that it was blocking my breathing and ability to swallow. This now hit the unusual symptom radar. I felt extreme burning. Heat engulf my face. Pounding. Swelling. 

As I looked in the mirror, I was shocked by what I saw. Swollen, redness, disfigured features and I could not see my ears. My lips were triple their normal size. Jaw. Cheeks. All swollen. And painful. Ever so painful. Red spreading across my face but not in rash form but more of a burn. The pain became more intense. 

Panicked, I had Thomas utter a beautiful priesthood blessing. Peace and comfort and love extended to me. I was promised protection. Intervention. I was also told to seek immediate medical attention. 

A strong impression came over me to read the medication pamphlet. Why? This medication-antibiotic was familiar to me. Bactrim. One I have been on many times while in the hospital. Still. The prompting came. I have learned to obey no matter what. 

In the side effects section it talked of a very rare severe and life threatening allergic reaction to he medication. It went on to describe how I felt exactly. It stated my skin was literally burning. Weeks to months would be required in an intensive care unit or burn center to overcome this complications. 

Tears shed from my face. Pain. Confusion. Angst. Fear. Frustration. More fear. More excruciating pain. Swelling. Greater struggle to breathe. And more began taking over. 

Thomas called Suzi to take care of Hayden. I called my sister. Jodi tried encouraging me to go to the hospital to get treatment. I could not bear the thought of being confined in a hospital. I despise them. As I have spent an overabundance of time there in the past several years. Emotionally I couldn't do it. Physically. I was terrified at the outcome. Would I survive a hospital stay in my health condition? Probably unlikely. 

Pleading internally with the Savior, ever so softly, Dr.Shiflet came to mind. Then peace. 

In over 2 years going to see Dr. Shiflet, this was a first to call after hours. He said to meet him at the office. He wasn't sure but would try. 

Before we left, Hayden offered a beautiful prayer. Fear still encompassed my soul. Pain was abundant. My sweet boy uttered the words, "Please bless my mom to feel better. To get better. And to be comforted." As that sweet boy said those words, peace and comfort wrapped me from head to toe. I was emotionally okay. My boy asked for the Savior to protect and comfort his mom. The Holy Ghost immediately responded. 

At Dr. Shiflet's office, I sat under lasers, had a foot bath, used colloidal silver gel and liquid. Dr. Shiflet lovingly and gently treated me for several hours. Thomas by my side, as always. My rock. My strength. 

Little by little the burning decreased. The swelling went from a disfigured face to less symptoms. When the girls walked in at the office, they jumped as they asked me what happened, since I looked so awful. I went from swollen to minimal symptoms. From burning to a sunburn pain. 

The Savior answered our pleas. Our prayers. He again allowed a miracle to be preformed for me. He again spared my life. 

I found the strength and will to continue fighting this disease. 

Instead of fear, when told I will never again be able to take an antibiotic. No treatments are available to me in the future. No more transplants. No additional immune support. No antibiotics. No Novocaine at the dentist. Nothing. I felt peace. I felt the Savior wrap me in his arms and tell me he had already provided alternatives for me.

I'm so grateful. I'm so blessed. I cannot express the love and gratitude in my heart for my Savior. He literally sustains my life day to day. I would not be here writing this post, if not for His love and daily support. 

I'm so grateful I am not sitting in the hospital or ICU but at home, curled up in my bed. 

Sure, sleep evades me as the painful burn on my lip will not stop throbbing. But I am alive. I am ok. And words cannot express my gratitude. I'm so blessed. 

Yes. Chalk up another miracle. I testify the Savior lives! I love Him with all my heart. I trust him. I believe him. I will always follow him I'm reminded why because he will never leave me nor forsake me. He will be at my right and at my left. He will buoy me up. He will be my pillar and my strength. I love Him. 

No comments: