Monday, February 24, 2014

Cousins-friends

I have been lucky to have some amazing cousins throughout the years. Loving and caring ones that have been close friends. I love that it doesn't matter how long it has been since we communicated or seen one another that a phone call or visit, we can pick up like it was only yesterday. 

Last night I received a text message from a cousin that lived with us growing up. We were buddies. As we sent messages back and forth, it felt as if we were back in high school laying on the couch or on the floor talking. 

Our situations have changed. Life has definitely made our current challenges a little more intense and tougher. But the principles and ways to overcome the challenges... The same. 

Both David and I have had our own unique and very different set of trials. Mine with illness. His with family difficulties. But, regardless of the situation, the ways of coping, dealing, enduring and becoming better is the same. It is with the help and gospel of our Savior, Jesus Christ. 

I loved the encouragement we gave each other last night. That through a text message that inspiring experiences can be shared. That testimonies can be shared. Common experiences bonding us together. The spirit was so strong. 

We talked of Christ. We discussed the ways that the Savior had encircled us in his love. We talked of struggles and what really matters in life. 

We encouraged each other. Set goals together. 

One of my favorite discussions was on the scriptures, where Nephi is relaying Lehi's dream of the Tree of Life. I talked to David of how at the end of the iron rod was the tree of life. There Lehi stood partaking of the fruit. He said it was " good and delicious. It was desirous above all other."  Most of all, when Lehi partook, he was desirous that all could taste its goodness. He wanted his family and friends to be there with him. 

I talked to David of these truths. I told him that I have partook of the goodness of Christ. I have felt and experienced his arms around me. I have tasted of that amazing fruit. When I partook, all I wanted, was those I love to be there and partake with me. 

It was a very spiritual conversation. One where goals were set. Testimonies strengthened. And bonds of friendship and love increased. 

I'm grateful for cousins. I'm grateful for relationships that can last throughout the years. I'm grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ that helps us no matter what trials and challenges we face. 

No comments: