Sunday, November 16, 2008

Urologist update


I had to take Hayden to the urologist this past week for some follow ups on a swollen kidney. Good to know, from all the lasik medication he was on as a baby, although his kidney is out of the norm, it is in normal range for him. What a relief.

This urologist had done surgery on Hayden when he was a baby. At 7 months old we took Hayden in to the hospital for surgery. He was on the hospital bed, hooked up to the monitors, iv's, etc. The anestesiologist was starting to put Hayden under. He held Hayden and was asking about his heart, the medications he was on, etc. etc. We talked for quite a while. Then, he looked it me and said, "I have a really bad feeling about this. I am afraid if I put him under, I may not be able to wake him back up." That was all I needed to hear, there was no way I was losing Hayden in surgery. I grabbed Hayden off the table, held him close to me and RAN out of the hospital. There stood the urologist, anesthesiologist, Thomas and a couple of nurses. As I left the hospital, the security guards tried to stop me on the way out. Hayden was obviously still hooked up to iv's and shouldn't be leaving the hospital. I was crying. They had just told me he may not make it through the surgery. I had survived all the heart surgeries and there was no way I was going to lose him now.

Needless, to say, they unhooked Hayden and we left. Thomas was left filling out the release paperwork. Three months later, with a cardiac anesthesiologist, and a heart doctor in the operating room, they did perform the surgery. I was a nervous wreck.

So, I haven't been back to the urologist since that day. 6 years later, they ALL still remembered me. I guess it is not common for someone to run out of the hospital with their baby.

The urologist told me that Hayden had a slight hernia but that he was going to wait until it was absolutely necessary to perform surgery. He had already been thru a surgery with me and would NOT be looking forward to another with me.

Hayden laughed so hard as we talked about me running out of the hospital with him! I've been laughing all weekend! Oh, good times!

3 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

Jer, I'm tearing up imagining what that must have been like! How terrible! You are so brave and strong. I'm glad all is good now...well, for Hayden.

Darce said...

Wow! Whatta story! I'm glad to hear things are going okay, tho. Again, Jer, you're life is so dramatic! It amazes me!

Bob and Danya said...

I vaguely remember that time. So scary! I'm so glad you had the guts to just leave!