Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Last Straw

Christmas Eve, right before bed, brings my favorite Christmas tradition. Right when we come home from Grandpa's house, we come in and put baby Jesus in his manger. All month we have been softening Jesus' bed by doing kind deeds and secret acts of service for one another. I have loved watching all month as Hayden walks by and feels how soft the bed is becoming for the baby Jesus. I love the Spirit of service, giving and sacrificing that is done in the name of serving and giving gifts to the Savior.

This year, as Hayden felt the straws that were collected, we recounted some of the individual straws and the deeds that were done and services rendered. We discussed which ones were of particular importance to the Savior and our family. I loved hearing some of the things that Hayden did that I was unaware of. Hayden was most proud of the mornings that he fed the dogs before his dad could so that it would save his dad from having to do it. He recounted a straw of sharing his toy with Brooklyn when he really didn't want to. He told how he gave the last sucker to Brigham. He talked to me about some acts he provided to other students at school.

As we laid the baby Jesus in his manger, we each gave our 2011 gift to the Savior and talked of the gifts of service that we would render in his name.

I love this traditon in our home. I love the Spirit that it brings and I love that before we wake up with all the Santa gifts and presents that we take the time to focus on the true meaning of Christmas. As a mom, it is my very favorite part of Christmas.

What I wasn't ready for, was the question that Hayden asked me. He asked me how Jesus felt about most people focusing on Santa and if Santa really was a bad thing that took away from Jesus and his birth. We had the BEST discussion. We talked of all the ways that Santa does help people to focus on the Savior, service, giving and love. We spoke of how Christmas is the Savior and Santa, hand in hand, teaching us to be better people. We talked of Santa and how because that Santa gives, it encourages the Spirit of giving in us. It encourages us to be kinder, nicer and better people. I then asked Hayden what he thought and how he now thought that Jesus viewed Santa. His response was one of true understanding. He said, The Savior must love Santa. Jesus loves that Santa focuses on giving to others and helps us want to give and do more for others. I told him that was exactly right.

I received my greatest gift on Christmas Eve. My son, my sweet, sweet son, understood the meaning of Christmas and understood that the magic and excitement helps us to remember that the Savior was born to bring peace, happiness and goodwill unto the world. I am so grateful. And, I very much believe in Santa and Jesus and that both of them help us at Christmas to focus on the true importance and meaning of Christmas.

2 comments:

Connie said...

I also love "The Last Straw" and it was one of my favorite traditions when my kids were growing up! Thanks for sharing!

Monroe Family said...

Jer, you are an amazing mom!!! You are doing such a great job with that sweet boy of yours. Love ya!