Wednesday, February 29, 2012

St. Thomas

When we got to St. Thomas, we split up and went on different excursions. My dad gave Thomas an excursion with most of the adults and older grand kids to ride scooters on the ocean floor. According to Thomas, it was the coolest experience ever. I guess they put scuba gear on and then go ride the scooter, seeing all types of animal life and plants at the bottom of the ocean. He loved every minute of it.

Meanwhile, Jake, Jodi, Troy, Steph and I headed out with all the kiddos 10 years old and younger to go snorkeling with sea turtles. I was so excited for Hayden to do this after Thomas and I swam with them in Hawaii.

We loved the boat ride out. I love the breeze in my face and the sun beating down. I love the up and down as the boat glides across the water. I love it all. Kiley was in heaven that she was able to spend her 9th birthday snorkeling in St. Thomas. What a way to spend your birthday. I love this cute picture of her and her dad. Kiley is such a daddy's girl.
Hayden sure loved his new sunglasses that he bought for the cruise and used them any chance he got.
I love any chance I get to spend time with my sister. She is amazing and simply my best friend.
Kiley, Katelyn, Jake, Bryson and Hayden all taking in the magnificent boat ride out to the sea turtles.
Bryson and Hayden were so cute with their snorkel gear on. They were big talk about how brave they were and how many fish they were going to see.
That is until.... the guide told the kids not to touch the black spines because you will end up in the hospital for a month. And, if you touch some porcupine fish then you will have to be pee'd on, and not to do this and that or touch this or that. Their faces and attitudes went from bravery and excitement to sheer terror....
After much convincing, we were able to get all the kids into the water, one by one. Jake went in first, swung Kiley, Katelyn, Bryson, Brigham, Brooklyn and then Hayden into the water. Jodi and Troy got in and I headed down next. When I hit the water, I felt as if I stopped breathing. As I started gasping for air, Hayden screams, "My mom. She is having a seizure." as he panicked. This all while, all of the kids, minus Katelyn are crying. As I climbed back on the boat, Hayden, Brooklyn, Brigham, Kiley and Bryson all came right back up with me. Only Katelyn stayed out with Jake and Braden with Stephanie.
Yep, me and the kids all sat back on the boat trying to "snorkel" from the boat as they called it. We did see a sea turtle, a dolphin and some fish. Probably as much as if we were in the ocean. Note to ourselves, our 5 to 10 year olds are not ready to be die hard snorkelers or scuba divers. They are land bodies. They love the boat ride and are a little intimidated by the wildlife in the ocean. And, you can probably guess our conversations the entire time we were there.... Do you think anyone got bit by a shark? Do you think someone is going to the hospital because they touched the black spine fish? Am I going to have to pee on anyone? Do you think someone is going to go missing at sea?
After the captain, nicely asked if I could MAKE the kids quit crying, I laughed and said apparently you don't have any children yourself because I haven't figured out how to MAKE any of them do or not do anything. I did suggest that if he would open the galley and snack bar that I would buy them all Sprite's and skittles and that was a guarantee to stop the crying.

All in all we had a great day on the boat, loving the breeze, being together and laughing at our high hopes for this incredible adventure that was fun, was an adventure for sure, but definitely NOT the one we had planned.

Lest I forget, after the snorkeling, we headed downtown and found the best purses and wallets. I love my Prada backpack and Coach purse. Love them. Hayden purchased his little trinkets and then met Thomas in the marketplace. We absolutely loved our time on St. Thomas.

No comments: