Saturday, February 25, 2012

Writer's Convention


For Christmas, Julie gave me the ultimate gift. She took me to Time Out for Writers. My dream has been to write and publish a book. I love to write and think it would be a great opportunity to see my work published.

It has always just been on the back burner for ..... Someday...... when...... and after everything else is done.

Yesterday was the first day of the conference. As I sat and listened to the speakers, I felt my inside's come to life. My mind began to write, I knew what I wanted to say, and the words flowed freely and easily from my pen to my paper.

During the morning session on writing a fun family history, I found myself writing "our" story but from Thomas' perspective. I wrote the first couple of paragraphs and I could see the entire book laid out in front of me. I had caught the fire and all I wanted to do is to get in front of a computer so I could put my ideas down on paper.

By the afternoon session, I was in with the Senior Editor for the Ensign. After, I was blessed, oh so blessed to be able to pitch my idea for a story to him. It has been something near and dear to my heart and a story that I believe needs to be told. But, wasn't sure what voice I needed to write it in or how to publish it once I wrote it.

As I was able to sit in a meeting and talk to him, face to face, for about 40 minutes, I was in awe. He loved the idea. He wants me to write it. The details cannot yet be shared but it looks my plan to do "someday", just became a reality of "do and accomplish right now!

As I spoke, I was then asked questions by some of the other authors/editors/publishers and was told that if I would expound on the theme and take it one step farther that they would be very interested in me expounding and publishing an entire book regarding my experiences.

Seriously??? Me??? I am not sure that I feel adequate to write such a book. My knee jerk reaction was are you kidding me? What do I have to offer? What do I have to say that hasn't been said before or in a way that it would help anyone else? I learn so much from each and every person I have talked to, how could I possibly be qualified to do this? True to every other aspect of my life, as I was questioning how? why me? who cares what I have to say? The Spirit again came, softened my heart, whispered truths to my heart and mind. I was again taught one of the most basic gospel truths. The Lord does not call the qualified. He calls the willing of heart and then with Him, and through the Spirit, through hard work and sacrifice, He qualifies the willing child.

I know I have a LOT of hard things ahead of me but I am so excited for this new journey. It is one I always dreamed of taking. Julie, thank you for helping me to live out and achieve my dreams. What a gift! Thank you!

So, the journey begins.....

No comments: