Saturday, May 18, 2013

Jodi's Birthday

My sweet sister and I celebrated her birthday by going out to breakfast to Apple Cafe, one of our favorites. A nice little hidden gem of a restaurant in Queen Creek. They have the best apple stuffed french toast. It is close to home and we had the place to ourselves during the week. It was wonderful.

I am so very grateful for Jodi. I was given the world's greatest sister. She is so special to me. I know that she was hand picked in heaven for me. She is my best friend. My confidant. The one I turn to for advice on being a mother. The first one I call when I am not sure what to do in a situation. The one I vent to. The one I express my greatest fears and deepest desires of my heart.

Jodi is one of the most incredible people I have ever known. She is the most amazing mom. She loves her children with all of her heart. She constantly puts their needs above her own. She prays for each of them and pleads with her Father in Heaven for answers in how to be a better mother and to know what to do for each of her children. She serves in her church callings with all of her heart. She prayerfully does the best she can to lead the way her Father in Heaven would have her teach and direct.

She loves her husband and speaks kindly of him, always. She knows his weaknesses but is quick to point out his strengths. She knows that he is a son of God and helps him develop to his greatest potential.

She loves all those around her. She always finds the best in others. She sees the needs in those around her and prayerfully fills those needs. She is always running treats over to others homes, babysitting neighbors kids, picking up extras from school and there are always twenty extra kids at her house. She is truly the kool-aid mom, but one that makes her own natural drinks.

Her children's and family's health is vitally important to her. She cans her own food, makes her own cleaning supplies, is constantly trying different foods to adjust to her children's allergies. I will never forget about a year ago when all three of her kids drank three different types of milk. One soy, one almond and one rice. How she kept it all straight is beyond me.

Her children all have different health challenges, yet she is constantly seeking for health alternatives for them. She finds and tries all different types of treatments. She has led me to so many new options for me and Hayden and Thomas. She is constantly looking for "out of the box" ways to help her dear children.

She loves me. She loves Hayden. She loves Thomas. She has and would do absolutely in this world that any of us needed. She has loved me, taken care of me, been my rock, been my strength, been my sounding block and my biggest cheerleader. She has brought me diet cokes, helped lift my spirits and been there when the road was dark and long.

Jodi lovingly started Cupcakes for a Cure. She has worked so hard to help us out financially. She was the answer from my Father in Heaven in how we could fund our medical treatments this year. She has never asked for anything in return when so lovingly getting supplies, giving of her time, working all day to make the cupcakes and all night to collect the money and pass the cupcakes out. She designed labels, came up with ideas and has done amazing at marketing Cupcakes for a Cure to bring in money for my treatments.

What Cupcakes for a Cure did for me was multifaceted. It raised the money for me to meet our medical deductibles so that doctors would again treat my medical conditions. It has continued to bring in money so I could try alternative treatments that medical coverage does not provide. All of the all natural treatments have been possible due to her making cupcakes and those around me, lovingly purchasing them. What else Cupcakes for a Cure did is something that I am not sure many are aware of.

When I was given less than a month to live and especially without money for treatments, I shut down. The path seemed too hard to walk, too overwhelming. I felt the benefits of me living this life and the burden it was placing on those around me was too great. I decided that I really was better off just quitting the fight and not placing any other burdens on those around me. When Cupcakes for a Cure started, the donations came pouring in. The stories of how I had touched lives came in with each dollar. The well wishes, the encouragement and love that poured in are still inexpressible in words. My heart was renewed and lifted and in awe. The only way I can explain it is when in "It's A Wonderful Life", all of George's family and friends come in, one by one, bringing him money and thanking him for his undying service and love. His life is validated by all those that have been touched by him over the years. Jodi provided me with my own version of "It's a Wonderful Life". I felt surrounded and buoyed up with love by all I knew. I was in awe at the love and generosity showered on me. It gave me the will power that I needed to fight this battle. When I no longer had the courage and strength to do it for me, I was given the incredible opportunity to see how others see me and feel about me. Oh what a precious gift that was for me in my darkest hours. It was the lifeline I needed to hold on.

I could spend pages and pages and days writing of all the ways that Jodi has blessed my life. Sufficeth to say, she is the best sister that I could have ever been blessed with. Not a day goes by that I do not thank my Father in Heaven for the gift of her in my life.

I love you, Jodi! Happy Birthday to the best sister ever.

No comments: