Thursday, May 16, 2013

Snakes

Snakes are something that I can NOT stand.

Princess and Spanky spent an entire day barking and barking. I was so incredibly frustrated. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't do anything with the loud barking in the background. I seriously was ready to go crazy with their shenanigans.

Thomas came home and went to yell at them to quit barking and low and behold, they were barking at this snake in our backyard. Since Thomas loves snakes, there was no way he was going to kill it.

Hayden and I were in the office working on homework. Thomas comes walking down the hall, snake in hand, to show Hayden. I screamed. What was he thinking bringing a snake in my house? Thomas was cracking up laughing that I was yelling and freaking out.

Hayden went with his dad outside to try and release it way up the wash, far from our house. I told Thomas that thing better not find its way back home. He assured me that he removed it far from our house.

Two days later, the dogs again were barking. I looked this time to see if I could figure out what they were barking at, but could not see anything. Thomas came home and went exploring and found that this slithery creature had again come "home".

I told him too bad. He was killing that slimy thing. Against his desires, to make me happy, he killed the snake.

There are definitely down sides to living in the desert and backing the natural wash. It is beautiful and provides a lot of privacy but creatures like snakes, wild rabbits, scorpions, lizards and all types of creepy crawlies also enjoy our yard.

Now, every time I hear the dogs bark, I will not let the kiddos outside. I am so scared that their continual barking means they have located more creepy crawlies trying to make our home, their home.

No comments: