Thursday, December 4, 2014

Dreams

My dreams lately have become very vivid. I remember amazing details and I am actively aware. I'm not merely a bystander without ability to run or frozen but actually can think thru my answers and can be shown where to go. I was studying on Joseph and his ability to interpret dreams. I thought of the pharaoh's dreams and then compared them to mine. Oh how I would love for a dream interpreter to help me understand some of the finer points of my dreams. I get the big stuff but I know I am missing things. As I pray, I know all things shall be made manifest to me "in time" but I ponder the meaning often and hope I am correctly analyzing the messages contained therein. 

Monday night I wrestled for sleep. It didn't come easy. I felt as if I was awake while dreaming and making conscious decisions rather than me playing a part in a unknown or senseless dream. This one was different. A big snake had gotten loose in our home. But it wasn't just slithering to and for or hiding  in a corner, this snake was watching, waiting, calculating. It's as with looking at the snake, I could for see his next move. He dove after Maya (our 4 pound puppy) knowing I would leave my area of safety to rescue her. He watched me as he tried to strike her, not interested in her, but my every move. 

As I grabbed the snake with both hands, he began striking at me fiercely, cutting my skin and attacking my heels and arms and wherever he could strike. I stood firm holding him with all my might and power. I felt a strength accompany me beyond my own. This snake, with hate and malice in his eyes was striking at me with all of the power and force of his body. As his fangs would cut into my skin, I would tell him that he had no power over me, his venom could break my skin but not damage or hurt my soul. He did not have power over me and nothing he could hit me with would change a thing. 

He started screaming at me, at the top of his lungs, although, it may not have been words exchanged but more understanding of thoughts. "Die! Why aren't you dying? I've struck you so many times that the venom should be destroying your heart. Just die!"  I stood firm. I held on to him tight. He was trapped and going no where. And although the strikes of his fangs piercing my skin was painful, the venom was not traveling to my blood stream or heart. Firmly, calmly and determined, I faced him saying, "Get thee hence you serpent. You can pierce my skin but will never have any power to let your venom take hold in me. You cannot hurt me. You have no power over me. Your efforts are in vain. You will never destroy me." 

His response turned to viscous anger. As he yelled, "Die! I have sent so much poison at you. I have struck you with all I have had. I have continued to pour venom into your veins. I sent so much venom that it should have utterly destroyed you." 

I held tight, I suffocated him. I held on and his repeated blows, although painful, had no impact on my strength, my determination, my will power or my spirit. My body was able to completely keep him from poisoning and killing me. 

I awoke. Not frantic or upset as I usually would with this type of dream. Instead. I was calm. I was strengthened. I was reassured. I felt so powerful. I knew that I was not alone. 

I have spent hours in the last couple of days thinking of this dream. I realize that the serpent or snake is the adversary. I understand his venom is hatred and jealousy and anger and feelings of self doubt and unfairness. Bitter emotions that would cause my heart to wither and die. I understand his blows or fangs piercing thru my skin were his attempts at sending hard things and negative comments and criticism and judgement, false acquisations and temptations. I understand me standing up to him mean to that I had the Savior on my team and I am not alone. I knew I was strengthened to bear the torment and challenges that were placed before me. 

I knew that I had become a strong person. Not one that breaks. But one with courage to face the future. No matter how painful or how many trials get thrown my way. I will be victorious. I will win this fight. 

I can't remember a time when I felt so strengthened and so powerful. I knew I had just faced the adversary head in. I know I could stand firm in my testimony. And faith in my Savior. I am sure as life moves forward, I will gain greater understanding and a greater knowledge of my dreams. Until then, I will hold firm knowing that I will continue to hold tight to the iron rod and continue to walk in the ways of my Savior. Only then, am I entitled to His divine help to be strengthened and uplifted beyond my own abilities. And when awaking from this dream, I knew just that. I only could not stand but with the Savior on my side, all things are possible. 

No comments: