Monday, December 1, 2014

Thanksgiving at Grandpa's

Thanksgiving came this year and exceeded all of my expectations. It was the year for all the Simonton's together at my dad's house. We arrived and saw Josh and his sweet family walking in. I noticed how grown up his boys were getting. How they towered over me. The smiles on their faces and love in their hearts as they each hugged me. I smiled as I watched Hayden and Braden greet each other with a "what's up" and a fist bump and wondered when they changed from boys to teenagers. I one by one hugged each of my nieces and nephews, brothers and sister, in laws and Bonnie and my Dad. I felt so much love in my heart as I realized how lucky I am to be apart of such a wonderful group of people. 

We sat and ate and Troy and Jake had me laughing harder than I had in years. I'm not even sure what was so funny other than the huge ASU and U of A rivalry existing between the family. But I felt so safe sitting next to Thomas and Jake and Jodi, with Rosie and Troy by my side. I smiled as I watched Josh and his family interact with the Grandparents and smiled at how grown up all of our children have become. There are no longer littles running around. They are mostly teenagers. Full of life and excitement, eagerly talking to one another instead of creating messes. 

I remembered many Thanksgivings gone by surrounded by the love of family. I said a silent prayer of gratitude that I was born into this family. That I had a mom and dad that loved me and provided the best for me. They taught me unconditional love and right and wrong. They gave me a solid foundation on which to build my life. They taught me about God and His son, Jesus Christ and all of the important truths contained in the Book of Mormon and Holy Bible. They taught me to love and serve and be kind. My gratitude about ruptured my heart I was so grateful for the life I have been given. 

We all talked and laughed and visited with one another. We talked of Christmas and being together. We talked of gifts and some of the best places we have traveled together. I smiled as Jake told Dad to buy all of us crock pots and take he rest of the Christmas money and buy him a cruise. So Jake. So funny. He keeps us all laughing. My Dad was tender and concerned. He talked of memories and love. He spoke of days past and memories of his family and parents and the love he has for them and his own siblings. He shared kindness and gratitude and love. 

All of us lingered. We all felt it. None of us rushed off. We hung out and just soaked in one another's company. We loved and laughed and enjoyed just being together. 

It reminded me of Thanksgivings past. When my mom was still alive and cousins and grandparents and aunts and uncles filled our home and the home of my grandparents. Those were precious days. They were filled with fun adventures of love and life and wanting the day to never end. This one felt similar. Love surrounded me. I felt wrapped in the arms of my family's and my Savior's love. I felt heavenly peace and deep seeded love and gratitude. I remember wanting and praying for the feeling to last forever. I knew I was in the presence of angels that day. Some walked the earth disguised as my husband and father, my sister and brothers and my sweet nieces and nephews. I looked at each and thought how they have bettered my life and brought me insurmountable joy and love, hope and peace. I felt the presence of heavenly angels. Those that have gone before us. I felt my dad's parents near as he spoke of them, I could almost hear Josh saying hi to Uncle Charlie Tuna. I felt my mom ever so gently smile at me and wrap her arms around my father. I felt my Grandpa telling me he loved me and my Grandma Donn laughing at Jake trying to get a trip for Christmas. It was hard to tell where is earth ended and the spirit world started. Kitchen at my dad's house on Thanksgiving will always hold a cherished memory for me. Heaven and earth collided that day. Heaven was right where we were. All together. All happy. All watching out and taking care of one another. And all smiling. 

Life does not always go as planned. It doesn't promise us more tomorrow's. It doesn't hold endless joy and no suffering. It is filled with opportunities for growth and stretching. Trials and tribulations take us to our knees. We have misunderstandings and hard feelings some in families. But no matter what life throws at us, we love one another. I do know that I am loved. I have been blessed to be placed in a family that would help me to grow and reach. They would also be there with a hand to help me up when I fall. I'm grateful for the family I have. All of them. I just wish JD and his sweet family could have experienced such an amazing day with us. They were truly missed. 

I was on a spiritual and emotional high for the next 24 hours. Life has its rocky points but I am so grateful for the life I have. I love all those that have been placed in my life and all the ways they teach me and help me and comfort me. I am truly blessed. 

No comments: