Sunday, June 14, 2015

Life - trials and blessings

My sweet friend, Jenna, came and visited me the other day. I loved having her here. She got me thinking. She is so young and just starting out on her journey. She and her husband have their lives ahead. They have their first foster son. They are trying to figure out how to be first time parents and dealing with emotions of not knowing if this precious boy that they love and adore and call son will be theirs for much longer. It breaks their hearts to think about giving him back. He has stolen their hearts and they love and adore him. 

We talked of the joy and pain. We talked of the hope and the future. We talked of trials and overcoming adversity. We talked of listening to the spirit. We talked of coming closer to our Savior. Of trusting. And remembering the bigger picture.

Life shouldn't be measured starting at birth and ending at death. This life is just part of the plan. One stage. We lived before we came to earth with our Savior. We learned at His feet. We walked with Him. We were taught by. Him. The truths we so desperately need to navigate this earth life, we learned before we came here. As we discover truths and learn about our Savior, we remember what we already knew. And death doesn't stop our progression. We move on to the next phase or again living with our precious Savior. What we do with our time here matters. 

As. Jenna and I talked and cried and laughed. I'm grateful for all those that walk in my door and sit and visit with me. I am grateful for the reminder that we are here to navigate this life and come closer to Christ. Whether we are just starting out on our journey or whether we have come close to the end of this life. Each of us learns different things at different times and to differing degrees. We need to be more patient, more kind, more understanding and more forgiving. We need to rememeber we are each here trying to do the best we can in differing circumstances. We each are trying to work our our own eternal salvation. 

As each friend and loved one or new acquaintance enters my home, I love the Spirit that comes, the learning, the enlightenment of minds and the sweet encouragement of friends. 

A lot of my life lessons come from my sweet son. He has taught me so much. He has brought me closer to my Savior. He has helped me to discover important gospel truths. 

I relayed to my friend a conversation that I had with Hayden. Sometimes the greatest learning comes from where we least expect it. After Hayden and I had discussed the possibility of me being taken from this earth,  Hayden wisely offered me these words, "we came here to get a body, to choose to follow the Savior and then to follow Him with all of our hearts.  Once we learn to do that, we are available to go back home to live with the Savior." 

Jenna and I talked about it. When you break life down to the simplest of terms and then place your adversity or struggles back into view with an eternal perspective, it makes them easier to handle. Not that the weight of the trials changed but our perspective adjusts and we see things more clearly. It's easier to try to figure it out when we clearly see the eternal perspective. 

Sure. We have to live in the here and now. We have to navigate this life while remembering our eternal goal. One of my favorite quotes is, "some blessings come now. Some blessings come late. And some don't come until the next life. But the blessings. DO come."

Trials are inevitable and as the apostles said, "If the road seems all uphill, you are on the right track". 

Following the Savior isn't always easy. It is sometimes difficult to walk the way we need to. But in overcoming hard times and in conquering our trials, we become more Christlike. We truly become His. 

As  Jenna and I talked, I was taken back to being in my early years, trying to navigate life and trials. And now, I am trying to coach someone else thru the trials they face. Looking back, it seems so clear. What I was being taught and what I was doing and how I was helped. 

I am so grateful for the relationship I have with my beloved Savior. And although the path thru life hasn't always been sure and the climb has been rocky and difficult and there are times I have only held on by my fingertips as I have climbed my own mountain, the view from the top....so worth the rocky and thought terrain of getting here. I realize that I am just a peak. I can look back and admire the view and be grateful for,the things I have gained on my climb. I realize that I need to turn and take the first step onto my next mountain and continue up. But where I am. And where I am going. Is exactly where I want to be. 

The climb has taught me who I am. It has refined me. It has polished me. It has made me strong. It has helped me to grow and become more like my Savior. I have learned patience and diligence, while being ever grateful for repentance and forgiveness. I've grown to know my Savior in a very personal and loving way. He has been my strength, my rock, the hand that has helped pull me to higher ground, the one who has caught me when I fell and the one cheering me on up the climb. He has stayed with me and never left me. He has placed key individuals next to me to help balance me and steady me. He has given me cherished loved ones to enjoy the journey with. 

I now can say I am grateful for my trials and adversity. It shaped me. I am who I am because of them not in spite of them. Every challenge made me stronger. Each rough patch strengthened me. Each fiery time molded me and I see the wisdom in it all. My patriarchal blessing promises stepping stones instead of stumbling blocks. Oh how that was such a gift from my loving. Father in Heaven. He lovingly placed stepping stones along my path to teach me to climb higher. 

As. Jenna left, I said a prayer of gratitude. Gratitude for my life. Gratitude for the knowledge I have gained. Gratitude for the wonderful moments along the way. And a deep gratitude for the loving people that help me each and every day. My life has been good. Really good. The blessings greater than the trials and way too numerous to even count. I've had a great life. And I am grateful for those that come over to talk that help me remember just how blessed I am. 

No comments: