Thursday, June 4, 2015

Patriarchal blessing

Hayden received his patriarchal blessing last Sunday. He had worked hard and studied and read and set goals to accomplish before this sacred event. I was so proud of him for understanding the importance and significance of this event in his life. 

Hayden wants to be so prepared. He wants to be ready. He wants to be so perfect. Oh that precious boy. As hard as I try, I can't convince him that perfection will not come in this life. Sure. That is the goal and by trying we come closer but the absolute Christlike perfection will not come in this life. 

The night before the blessing, the sweet boy of mine talked to us about the upcoming blessing. He asked if it would be ok if he fasted. Of course. He also asked about what responsibilities, rights, obligations and blessings come from each tribe. He wanted me to make a chart and teach him about every tribe and all the above things. I told him it may be better to wait until he knew which tribe he was from and then to figure out those things. He told me he just wanted to be prepared. Oh how I love him. 

Hayden woke up and fasted and wanted to review the book "understanding your patriarchal blessing". He is so great. We went to church early. Passed the sacrament. Listened to the talks. Went to class. And came home and asked to prepare more. We told him to pray prior to his blessing but he was ready. 

Excitement grew as we drove to the Tayrien's home for patriarch Tayrien to pronounce a patriarchal blessing on Hayden from his Heavenly and Eternal Father. We talked. Hayden asked Brother Tayrien about the tribe and responsibilities. He basically told Hayden the same as us. To wait for his lineage. Hayden answered all questions like a pro. Even explaining to Brother Tayrien that his patriarchal blessing is like a liahona offering direction and guidance. Pointing him in the right direction for his life. And also it is personal scripture from our father in Heaven for him. It is sacred and not to be shared but used as a guide for him in life. 

I was so excited for Hayden and prayed he would be told all he needed to endure and guide him thru this life. As the words were spoken, my heart was warmed. Hayden is special. He did play an important role before he came here. His obedience in the pre-existence carried over to this life. His enthusiasm for the gospel and our loving Savior was something he has always held closest to his heart. I loved that. It is so Hayden. He was promised many great things with health and love and mission and fatherhood and being a husband and servant of God. He was promised so many great things. He is a noble leader. He is precious to God. 

My heart warmed with the spirt. The Holy Ghost bore strong witness of the truthfulness of the words spoke.  I was so proud to be his mother and so humbled by the role I have been blessed with in his life. I was reassured that he was going to be ok. He will make wise choices that take him far in returning to the presence of our Savior. I was in awe of the responsibility I have in being his mother. 

Afterwards, we smiled and Hayden was grinning ear to ear. His heart was full. He understood the importance of such this monumental occasion in his life. We prayed that he would rememeber it always. And that he would go back to his patriarchal blessing time and time again as he seeks council and direction and guidance in his life. 

I am so proud of my boy. He is a joy. A light. A hope. A beacon. He stands for righteousness. He is filled with goodness. He is love. He is a Christlike example of all that is good in the world.  I am so grateful I was chosen to be his mother. 




No comments: