Monday, August 15, 2011

The Child is now the Teacher

Hayden's Prayer
The other day Hayden was upset that since I had a doctors appointment that I would be going back to the hospital. I tried to reassure him but he was still upset. Of course, he was right, the last 3 or 4 doctors appointments had landed me back into the hospital. Unsure of how to convince him that I would be okay, I asked him a question, "Hayden, where do we go when we need answers?" He immediately ran into the bedroom and shut the door. Of course, I had to peak to see what was going on. Sure enough, my son was down on his knees speaking with his Father in Heaven. We he got up, he came out with a smile and said, "It's ok if you go to the doctor today, mom. Heavenly Father assured me you are coming home today." And, I did.

Holy Ghost and Hayden
Another night, Hayden was already asleep but was on our bed. Thomas ran to Jodi's and was going to be gone less than 10 minutes. I started vomiting, choking, and couldn't breathe. Hayden came into the bathroom, I was on the ground and couldn't talk and was struggling to breathe. Hayden calmly reached in my pocket and took out my phone as he asked me if he should call Daddy or Grandma Julie. I couldn't talk. He dialed and said, "Grandma, Mommy is on the ground, throwing up and turning white and blue? What do I do?" Julie rushed to the house and made it there right behind Thomas. Thomas didn't know what was going on but was met at the garage with the door open and Hayden saying, "Dad, Mommy is in your bathroom and isn't talking or breathing very well." Thomas rushed, did the Heimlich maneuver on me and I basically just collapsed with no energy. Thomas got me up and to the couch and asked what happened. I explained but told Thomas I was fine and was more worried about how Hayden was coping with this. This was the conversation that took place:
Thomas: "Hayden, how are you doing? You did such a good job with Mommy."
Hayden: "Dad, I was asleep and the Holy Ghost woke me up and said, your mom is in trouble, go into the bathroom and help her. I did that and then he told me to get her phone out. I wasn't sure who to call and the Holy Ghost said to call Grandma Julie. Then, he told me to go open the garage door and tell either you or Grandma where mommy was and that she needed help."
Thomas: Reassured Hayden of what a good boy he was and how he saved his mom. And, expressed how grateful he was that Hayden had learned how to listen to the Holy Ghost.
Hayden: "Dad, I only did what the Holy Ghost told me to do. Isn't that what are supposed to do all the time?" Then he added, "Dad, as I listened and did each of the things that the Holy Ghost told me to do, he kept hugging and squeezing me tighter and tighter. I could feel how much he was saying, Hayden you are doing a very good job and I am very proud of you."
Thomas just held Hayden. When they related the story to me, I cried and cried. I knew how much trouble I was in and that had Hayden not been there, things could have become very scary, very quickly. I am so blessed to have such a great son!

Yoda
Hayden: "Mom, I get it, Yoda and President Monson are the same."
Me: "How's that Hayden?"
Hayden: "They both use the forces of good to fight off the forces of evil."
He looks at me and then continues, "Yoda call it 'The Force' and the Prophet just know it is really the priesthood power."

No comments: