Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Deep Sea Fishing

Thomas was not able to spend the entire week in Cali with us. So, when the annual deep sea fishing trip came around, I just figured I would do a fun mother/son activity with Hayden and that Thomas could take Hayden next year.

Boy was I wrong:
Jake, JD, Josh and Grandpa all talked to Hayden and convinced him that he needed to teach his mom to fish. Rule on the boat is a parent has to come for a child to go. Hayden decided he did want to go, so that meant me sacrificing my complete dislike for fishing to make Hayden happy.
above: Me and Hayden as we are getting ready to get on the boat. I am smiling and trying to be a good sport.
Below: Hayden and Chase. Chase being on the boat is definitely why Hayden wanted to be out on the water. I must say, they are cute together and do have a good time playing together.
I hope you can see Suzi's face here. It says so very much. I was about that excited to be on the boat and was really ready to jump off when we started to back out for our 5 1/2 hour excursion.
I mellowed a little when I saw Hayden's face. I knew that his happiness definitely meant more to me than my own comfort.
Hayden was so proud that I was on the boat and loved that we were there together, so much so, that he even told me that we could get a picture together so everyone would know that I loved him and was even willing to go fishing. What a keeper!
Notice...we have lots of moms on board. Josh and Jodi both get sea sick so Stephanie brought her boys and Suzi brought Brooklyn. Rosie loves fishing.
Hayden loved putting the pole in the water. However, he did not like baiting the hook. These fish baits were the size of actual fish. I was so scared to bait them.
I tried and tried, but JD had to teach Hayden and I how to actually put the hook through the fishes mouth and gill. Hayden would have much rather fished with Uncle JD, but he had Bryson, Coby and Tanner to help.
Hayden loved the first 3 hours of fishing! Problem was, the mackeral fish would eat our bait fish on the way down and so I must have had to bait 100 fish.
Brooklyn caught a fish and then boy was Hayden determined to catch one. She would not touch it and said she didn't want to smell like fish rest of the day. Such a girl!
Hayden was thrilled when he caught this sea bass. So proud of himself. But, when he saw the teeth, there was no way he was going to hold him.
This one was too little to keep, so the deck hand had to help Hayden throw him back.
All in all, it was a good trip. I hope Hayden looks back on this and knows my extreme love for him. I can say I went once, fished, caught some and I hope that I am never in the situation to have to go with him again. I do love how happy he was and how excited he was to tell his dad that mommy is a lot braver than he thought she was!

1 comment:

Jodi Davis said...

Thank you so much for taking Brooklyn! What a great aunt!