Sunday, August 14, 2011

Hayden's Summer Toy Drive

Our first annual HAYDEN'S Summer Toy Drive went off with a huge success.
Hayden was able to meet with KNIX guys and actually be on the radio promoting the toy drive and why we collect toys for the children that are in Phoenix Children's Hospital.
I was in charge of the entrance. If a donation was given to the toy drive, then we gave away free backpacks, passport cards and raffle tickets. Extra raffle tickets could be purchased for a donation to the toy drive, as well. It was very busy, yet Hayden and I found time to sneak in a Hawaiian shaved ice... yummy!
Of course, I recruited tons of help. We collected more toys than I thought possible, and so Julie and Suzi were decorating more boxes for toys to be collected in.
Hayden was tired and wouldn't get out of his chair for Suzi, so she solved the problem by just sitting on him. He re-thought about being a gentleman and let her sit so he could sit on her lap. Crazy boy!
I am so thankful for all the family support that I get at these events. Rosie and girls were there early, Jodi and gang came, Kelli, Joyce and family came and of course Suzi and Julie were there every minute helping me set up and get things ready for the carnival.
The raffle items... boy were there some good ones... gift cards to Target, Toys R Us, Barnes and Noble, school kits, backpacks, haircuts, games, and tons of neat prizes!
There were so many carnival events. I was able to rent two bounce houses, we had obstacle courses, face painting, clowns, balloon guy, KNIX, cake walks, and more that I can't remember.
If you filled out your passport by visiting all the vendors, you could go outside and tie dye your own t-shirt. The kids loved that!
The bouncy houses and tires were a hit but I think the balloon guy was the #1 best person the kids loved!
Scott and Thomas! Thomas worked his tail off trying to make sure that everything ran smoothly while I was handling money and tickets and the collection of toys.
Even Hayden loved getting a sword balloon. It is amazing how popular those are with the kids.
Grandma Julie and Hayden towards the end of our 4 hour event. We were all getting tired.
It was such a successful event. We raised over 200 toys, $240 to purchase more toys and over 100 school supplies for the children at the hospital. Not only that but about 15 vendors/organizations and people that want to help with the toy drive this coming winter.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I cannot express the hard work that went into this. Hayden is at an amazing school that Ms. Waisel, Mrs. Fett, Ms. Panetta and so many others that took the time to make this event so successful! I want to do it again next year but I think we need to cut it to 3 hours, 4 hours was a lot of work but a lot of fun!

It will be an event that we always remember! And a special shout out to my family for always supporting me and being there for me!

1 comment:

Jodi Davis said...

All I have to say is YOU ARE INCREDIBLE!