Thursday, January 17, 2013

Cupcakes for a Cure


Cupcakes for a Cure was the brilliant idea of my amazing sister.

Thomas had dropped me off at Jodi's so I wouldn't be alone towards the beginning of January. The new medication I was put on required 24/7 care for two weeks. While there, Jodi told me she had been feeling that she needed to do something to help us raise money to meet our huge deductible at the start of this new year. Her and Troy had been talking and thought she should sell her amazing cupcakes to help us out. Tears poured from my eyes. The love I felt was tremendous. The timing impeccable. It was only then that I leveled with Jodi regarding my last doctor appointment.

Sobbing, I thanked Jodi for her idea. Then immediately said a prayer of gratitude to my Savior. Almost a week before this, I had been to a new doctor. He spent a long time going over all of the details of my tests and treatments as well as talking to me about a game plan moving forward. He said because of our huge deductible and mounting pile of past medical bills that most of the doctors had put us on a cash payment in advance plan. The bottom line of this, unless we raised quite a bit of money and quickly, my life was in danger. In danger of time running out before we could meet our deductibles and get the life saving treatments that I needed.

Jodi too cried and asked why I had kept this to myself without telling anyone. How was I supposed to say this to those I dearly love? Because of the lack of money, my life was seriously in jeopardy? It would tear my husband apart and I knew my family would just feel the burden of trying to help us out and cover the costs. I had almost conceded that it was time to just let go and give up this next to impossible fight for life. I had been pleading with my Father in Heaven to know His will. I had been asking if it was my time to go and I just wasn't listening. I have received so any blessings, so many promises and time and time again been reassured by my Savior. He continued to tell me to keep up the fight, try my hardest to continue to breathe and He would help me find a way.

For one of the first times during this trial, I really doubted. Not that my Father in Heaven couldn't do it but the burden it would create on too many of those I loved would be too much and I wasn't sure it was worth it. That I was worth it.

My sweet sister pulled me in for a hug and told me that we would figure it out and I was worth the time, money and sheer volume of support that this would require. She made me promise to keep clinging to life and to leave the fundraising to her. We sat down and crunched numbers. At $20 per dozen, after subtracting out the costs, we were hoping to make a little more than half on each dozen. Our first key goal was to get to $5300. At that point a percentage of our insurance would at least kick in and doctors may be willing to work a little more with us. I could at least get my medications and receive some testing at that point and then figure out how to pay for any required treatments. As we started crunching numbers, the absolute volume of cupcakes required to sell would be enormous. We were talking over 500 dozen.

Jodi quickly revised our goal and said that we didn't have to do this overnight. We only had to come up with money by the days treatment was required. And with a loving sister standing by my side, I again decided that I would continue to try to keep breathing, and stay alive. I had fought too hard to get where I am at I wasn't going to go down without a fight.

From there, the events that have happened are inspiring and amazing. What we did not count on or factor into the equation is that we didn't just have the two of us on this fight for life but we had partnered with the Savior. What we lack, He makes up the difference each and every time. Miracles happen when He is involved.

Cupcakes for a Cure has now been in business for a couple of weeks and the incredible support of so many has been amazing.

Going forward, Thursdays are cupcake making day. We are hoping to get someone over to Jodi's house each Thursday to help her crank out cupcakes. Cupcakes will be ready for pick up at either mine or Jodi's house after 5:00pm.

The options are a dozen Almond Joy cupcakes (pictured above) or Oreo or half and half. If you would like to do a big order on a different day, please contact Jodi and she will work with you.

I have been receiving so many requests on how people can help and help is appreciated in any form. Cupcake purchases, volunteering to help Jodi bake the cupcakes, donating cupcake supplies, garage sale item donations, monetary donations (there is a paypal button on the right side of this page. Make sure to use the friends/family option if choosing this option) and Prayers. Lots and lots of prayers.

My heart is beyond full. We are absolutely overwhelmed by the extreme generosity, goodness, support and love by so many. Our hearts are filled with appreciation, gratitude and love to all of our family, friends, ward members and complete strangers that have come together to help me in my fight for life. We no longer feel alone, but feel the strength and love of a countless number of people. Thank you. Thank you for all the generosity and love you have shown to me and my family. Our hearts are forever changed.

No comments: