Saturday, January 19, 2013

Health Update

Today was a big appointment. Again I found myself walking into a strange doctor's office. No familiar sights, smells or sounds. As I sat in the waiting room amongst strangers, I was so grateful that Thomas had the day off and could go with me. I always get apprehensive meeting new doctors. How do I sum up my store in the 2 to 3 minutes that they want me to? How do I pick my top three symptoms?

I breathed a sigh of relief when a cute seventy year old man starting talking to me. He asked what a youngin' like me was doing at a cardiac electrophysiologist office. I gave him the three minute version of the past 20 months of my life. With encouragement he told me that Dr. Shah was the best. She was gentle, kind and thorough...an out of the box thinker. Relief poured into my soul. I began to relax as this sweet man reassured me that she would work with me until she figured it out.

When the nurse called my name, Thomas gave my hand a squeeze and reassured me it was going to be ok. He was with me and he was positive this doctor was going to bring answers.

Dr. Shah was extremely nice and didn't rush me through my explanations but asked more questions. She actually looked at the three pages of notes that I had brought in to her details medications, what they were for, prescribed by which doctor and ifmimthought they were working or not. Followed by current diagnosis', ongoing evaluations and expected diagnosis and a list of current symptoms. The last page was a detailed timeline of the past almost two years with dates and tests ran.

The amazing thing is. She read them. She took her notes on my papers. She circled items and asked questions about things. She determined which tests to run, outlined our next steps going forward, her concerns, her gut feelings, and before she left added, "is there anything else I should know? Any illnesses? Random facts? Anything that comes to mind right now, please share." I was in awe. No other doctor has asked me that. I threw in the fact that in eighth grade my immune system shut down requiring heart shockers and that I had had a dozen miscarriages. Bingo. Those were two important pieces of information she needed. She added those to her lists and proceeded with several other questions which changed some other testing to be run. She smiled at me and thanked me. Wow! I was so happy. She assured me she would get right on the tests and be there wit me for a couple of them and would really research to figure this out.

Proceeding forward we are scheduling the following tests: Echocardiogram, Heart Stress Test, 24 hour Holter monitor followed by a 30 day Holter monitor, Ct Scan of my lungs and others such as Tilt Table Test and labs. The Stress Test will require admittance to the hospital. With struggling to walk and talk at the same time due to struggling for oxygen, they do not want me killing over in the doctors office. Dr. Shah is concerned enough that she said she will stand beside me to make sure I am safe and have necessary medical treatments standing by....just in case. What a sweet doctor.

I have been thru this enough times to realize that their first inclinations are not always correct. However, I felt so "at peace" as she spoke that I think she may be headed in the right direction. She believes that my body is throwing all kinds of clots into my lungs, daily, causing it to make it very difficult for me to catch my breath. The miscarriages are a huge indicator of a blood clotting disorder. Along with all the numerous cases of pneumonia that I have had. According to her, most of my symptoms could be caused by blood clots. The stroke, TIA's, seizures, heart issues, breathing struggles, exhaustion issues, coma type sleep and so many others. I guess everything requires oxygen to work.

I know the road ahead is a long one. I know that the testing is just the first step up another tall mountain. I have learned that these roads curve, turn, take detours, have long climbs with no views of the top. I've learned that the path first, those first few steps, seem like a cake walk that can be done forever. But, I have incredible people by my side, a doctor that is gentle and kind, family and friends that love me and my Savior that walks with me until I can no longer climb myself and He then carries me.

As much as testing requires some unpleasantries, I am so looking forward to having someone on my side that really wants to help me get my life back. And I am thankful for a cute little seventy year old man that helped me to get excited for this new doctor that I really think is going to help search for answers for me. Not only was Thomas with me today, I know my Savior was near...helping the doctor to ask the right questions, helping me to know which symptoms and events to bring up, and guiding me with ordered and clear thoughts and explanations. I have hope. And that, is the best feeling of all. 2013 is really looking like it will be a great year!

No comments: