Friday, April 5, 2013

Laughter

I've heard a thousand times that laughter is the best medicine.

As I sit on my couch today, all is quiet. No TV. No noise of the washing machine or dishwasher to distract. The hum of the fan lulls in the background, quietly and rhythmically keeping time. The rhythm and quiet movement of air often hypnotize me to slumber. I have come to find comfort in its soothing steadiness. It is constant, it helps me breathe, and it is comforting the way the fan creates a gentle breeze across my face. If I close my eyes, I picture that instead of being cooped on the couch, that I am sitting by the creek with a gentle breeze blowing ever so gracefully against my face. The image brings so much joy and comfort and the peace is all encompassing. Peace fills my soul and transports me to a place where I can run free in meadows and rock hop in the creeks. I am free.

Usually interruptions startle me out of this alternate reality with a sharp jerk as the doorbell rings, the dogs bark or telephone sounds. I find gratitude in those moments where I can escape and find strength to keep going, keep holding on and find peace to endure.

But today, as I sat quietly on the couch, my thoughts were interrupted by laughter. Loud, screeching, full out laughter. My heart smiled. The more Hayden and Gunter laughed, the bigger the smile across my face stretched.

I moved over to the window to look out and take part in their joy. I should have moved and took a picture but I became mesmerized in their joy. My smile grew as water gun fights took place on the trampoline. Water guns in one hand, nerf swords in the other, water sprinkling from up underneath the trampoline. The water poured off their faces and their clothes hung down while their faces streaked with water and streaks of dirt and boy sweat. Most of all, smiles stretched across their faces. The laughter was loud and boisterous but from a place of deep down childhood joy.

My heart smiled. I found myself inside, watching these boys jump, sword fight and shoot water guns while playing some game only understood by them. But the joy they let off was immense. It was real. It was wonderful.

I made a goal. Laugh more. Not the weak small laugh but to find something so funny that causes a deep hearted belly laugh more often. To allow joy and happiness to sink so deep down that I laugh more with my boy. I won't worry if it causes pain or inconvenience. I'm going to make the effort and take the time to find laughter and joy in my day.

After all, if laughter is the best medicine, I definitely should be partaking in the wonderful gift of its healing properties much more often. Goal for April: laugh more. I want to have the best laugh smile lines and creases in the world. When I am old and wrinkling, I want my face to show that I was happy, had a great life, that I loved the life I have been blessed with and I took every opportunity in the world to smile and laugh.

No comments: