Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Proud parenting moment

Hayden came home from school yesterday with a tear stained face. I knew something was terribly wrong but wasn't sure of the details of the problems. Hayden's first sentence out of his mouth was, "Mom, when dad gets home today, can he give me a priesthood blessing."

He went on to explain the problems and anxiety causing situations at school. Why he was afraid and what could we do to help him. I listened intently knowing that this was a real crisis for him, not just a bad day.

As I took my son in my arms and hugged him, I reassured him that yes, his parents would help him out and help to rectify the situation. I told him how proud I was of him for coming to us to help him with the situation. Even more so, I was so proud of him that he knew where the greatest source for peace, understanding, guidance and help would come from, his Father in Heaven and his older brother, Jesus Christ.

As I hugged him, he took a big sigh of relief, he was unsure as to the outcome of the situation, but he trusted that between his Heavenly Father and his earthly parents, we would help to show him the way to handle the problems that he faces.

Later that evening, when Thomas came home, Hayden and I laid out the problems and situations going on at school, then Hayden ever so tenderly again asked, "Dad, I know that I will feel a lot better if you just give me a priesthood blessing." He continued with, "I need my Heavenly Father's help to understand what to do and to help me not to be afraid and scared."

My sweet husband took our son in his arms, hugged him and offered a beautiful priesthood blessing.

The look on Hayden's face when the prayer was over was one of contentment, peace, relaxation and trust.

Hayden knew that he was given the answers in how to handle the situation. More importantly, he was reassured, by the power of the Holy Ghost, that he was a Son of God. That his worth was is great. His Father in Heaven was proud of who he is, what he does and the valiant spirit that he is developing. He was reassured that he would be given the strength and added ability to handle the situation. He is loved. He is surrounded by people who love him. And that through his goodness and love he would bring many to the Savior and teach them the ways of our Lord.

My boy. He has such a beautiful spirit. His spirit is so much stronger than the mere mortal body that houses his spirit. I was again reminded that Hayden will do great things on this earth. That there is a very special mission set in place for his life.

I love that he asked for a priesthood blessing. I think that he needed to know who he is in the eyes of the Savior. I think as his mom, I needed the reassurance that although I fall short in so many areas, that Hayden is learning what he needs to and developing the skills that our Father in Heaven deems important. He stood up from the blessing with added courage, added strength, add resolve and added knowledge to do what needs to be done.

I needed the sweet reminder yesterday of the love our Father in Heaven has for each of his sons and daughters. We have a divine mission and purpose for walking this earth. I was gently reassured that he knows each of us personally. Our situation. Our strengths and weakness. Our heartaches. Our shortcomings. Our needs. Our desires. Our good points. Thank you my sweet son for the kind and tender reminder that there is one who knows the way out of each situation, that knows the answers, that knows how to fix any ailment or problem that we face.

I love my son and his faith. I love that my husband honors his priesthood and is worthy to lay his hands on Hayden's head and call down the powers of heaven to help Hayden. I am grateful for a Heavenly Father that shows mercy and love to each of us. That he takes the time in each of our situations to reassure us that we are his and if we ask, he will always guide us and walk with us and help us find solutions to all of life's challenges.

No comments: