Thursday, July 23, 2015

My dad

I am so grateful that my dad has continued this tradition since I was 14 years old. Next year, Hayden will be the same age I was when I started going to this same condo. 

My mom wanted us to go every year. It was one of the last requests she had of my dad was to get us together every year at the beach. He kept his promise. He has made sure it was possible for all of us to go. When we outgrew unit 408, he purchased unit 307 for himself and then Josh purchased 206. Condo 403 became available and Josh bought it and my dad purchased 206 from him. From there he continued to buy condos. Jake owns 402 and Josh 403. My dad bought 408, 407, 406, 307 and 306, 206, 205, and 202. Why? So we could all be together. 

He makes it a priority to help us get there. He has continued this tradition to honor my mom and keep us all close. 

He tries to do individual things with the grand kids, as much as possible, to make special memories. He tries to take us out to dinner one night and play games another and do fun activities like barbecue on the beach. 

The memories we have made over the years are priceless. This is where I measure my life. I evaluate where I am and what I accomplished the prior year. I notice how much each child and sibling has changed. I celebrate the victories and mourn the loss and changes. I recommit to be better, set new goals and give credit for things that have been accomplished. 

Most of all, I feel so close to my mom here.  Each year, at one point or another, I feel her with us and watching us. I feel her smile and thank my dad for his continued effort to provide us a place to gather and build bonds. I feel her approval. I see her smile at each of the grand kids. I feel her approval and joy in me and my own family. 

I cherish the moments with my siblings and nieces and nephews. I love catching up with them and spending time reminiscing and building new memories. 

And I absolutely love the time with my husband and son. I love the closeness we feel. I love the memories we make. I love the sheer joy that is felt. I feel love surrounding me and encircling me. To me, Heaven on earth is the beach. I am sure that the celestial kingdom will hold those sacred feelings I feel when we gather at the beach. As each family arrives, there is joy and hugging and arms open to embrace and welcome them there. 

For me. This is pure joy. I don't need to go to amusement parks and out to dinner. I don't need anything fancy. I just love the beach, being in the condos or down on the sand. The peace I feel and gratitude for my life is beyond words. 

This year was a struggle as I said goodbye as I was unsure if I would be back. I pray I will. In fact, more so now than ever. I do believe my Savior will allow me more time with those I love. But, if not,  just like my mom is at the beach in spirit, so will I be. I will be there to smile as each family comes and hugs the next, I will relish the changes in each of the kids, I will celebrate and honor their victories, u will host the as they mourn their losses and I will smile as each child outs their toes in the sand for the first time each summer. I will sit back and smile as I listen to the cousins play. I will laugh as my siblings compete in cards. And I will hold tight to my husband and son and reassure them that I want them to smile and have fun and find the joy in life. I will hug them tight and let them know that I love them with all my heart. That I am helping to prepare a place for them in the eternities and that I want them to go on living. I want them to smile and laugh. I want them to find joy and happiness in this life. I want them to know I love them with every ounce of my being. And that I am so proud of them and who they are. I will cuddle up to me them as they sleep and I will always go to the beach with them. 

I am so grateful for my dad and him keeping his promise to my mom all those many years ago when I was barely older than my son is now. I'm grateful. Oh so grateful for the countless memories and lifetime of joy that 408 and the other various condos have held. So much. Oh so much joy!!

Oceanside, you will always hold a piece of my heart. And you will always be my home. 

No comments: