Thursday, July 23, 2015

My life at doctors

Since returning from the beach, my life has consisted of doctors. I went in for a sleep study on Tuesday night. (Thank you Suzi for watching dogs and Hayden overnight since they wanted Thomas there and then on standby). I was hooked to a partial EEG and EKG, a throat swallow study, and testing for restless leg and to rule out sleep apnea. (No sleep apnea. Pain. Severe pain is keeping me up. No other results back yet. Waiting on swallow and night seizures etc etc). My sweet husband sat there until I was in bed. And asleep and them was back at 5am to pick me up. He came with breakfast in the cAr, my meds and a diet coke. Seriously. How did I get so lucky? I'm in awe at how well he treats me. I love him with all my heart. He is my strength. 

Ok. Back to doctors. Then on Thursday, I underwent the second part of my foot repair procedure. I had cortisone shots accompanied by blocks and deadening of nerves. I go back for third treatment next month to cut/destroy remaining nerves. And although I opted to go thru with a local only and no anistesistha, I second guessed myself mid procedure. Boy howdy did that hurt. I stung like crazy and I was strapped down. It didn't last long but long enough for me. 

Although two days later, I am so glad I opted for no anistesistha, man at the time was I wishing I would have. But I didn't want to have to go they the side effects of being under. It definitely makes recovery easier. 

I also received new accessories from insurance. My wheelchair, which is temporarily being named "the throne" and my walker with a seat and wheels. This walker absolutely saved me after foot surgery and getting around. I know the wheelchair will get good use. 

Hayden was fine with the wheelchair. But he asked, "how old am I getting that my mom needs a walker? Um wait. I am only 13. What's wrong with this picture?"  He was laughing and so was I. We need to laugh at ourselves. Hayden asked if I was replacing Clumsy the Cane with this huge monstrosity. I laughed hysterically. He is a funny boy. I'm so glad we can laugh at ourselves and the funny things I am doing in my forties that I would never have imagined. We have to keep laughing. It is what it is. We just need to make the best of it. 

Next week starts the fun. Annual well women's exam, mammogram, lab tests, bladder biopsies, pelvic wall biopsy, visit to a new gastrointestinal doctor, and more pulmanologist testing. It should be a crazy and eventful week. Not looking forward to it but with the new diagnosis, I am praying they can help ease and manage some of the intolerable symptoms better. 

Along with this fun, I get to arrange paperwork to see a rheumatologist to diagnose and manage my autoimmune disease. And of course, I must make time to see Dr Shiflet and be adjusted and get a foot bath. I desperately need both. 

My life is good but I must document the not so fun part of battling my disease. I just have to rememeber, I am not my disease. I am still Jerlyn. I am a mom, a wife, a sister, a daughter, an aunt, a friend, a Mormon, a firm believer and follower of Christ, a writer, a dreamer, a believer and a teacher and student. I am Jerlyn. I have an autoimmune disorder, I am currently in pure autonomic failure, diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy, peripheral neuropathy, an us identified autoimmune disorder, cardio-neurogenic syncope, I have multiple system atrophy, damaged mylenin sheath, strokes, seizure disorder, and the list goes on. 

And the blessings FAR outweigh any heartache and challenges. I truly am blessed and I do have a wonderful life surrounded by the great ones. I'm so grateful for all I have, all I have been given and all I am. It is a crazy life but it's mine. And I pray and plead every day for another day, to stay here with those I love and cherish, and continue to walk this earth. I'm so very grateful for my life and all that it entails, even my diseases. Because it has taught me so much about living. I havee learned to live every day without regrets. And that is priceless. 

 M


No comments: