Saturday, February 20, 2016

Goodbyes

How do you say goodbye to a best friend? How much harder is that goodbye when you only have a week's notice that he will be moving to Utah in only a week?

Hayden was devastated and said that he is beginning to really dislike Utah as so many people he loves keep moving there. I think his biggest devastation was Chad and now his dear friend Gavin.

Gavin and Hayden only met this past year at scout camp when Gavin moved into the ward. But a friendship began. Gavin became a fixture in our home every weekend and any day that he had time off of school.

And although they may look years apart, looks are deceiving and they were only a couple of months difference in age. Crazy.

Gavin and Hayden were two peas in a pod. They spoke the same language, loved all things video games and Minecraft and 007. They loved computers. They loved nerf guns. They loved playing with the dogs. And oh how these two boys loved pizza and eating tons of food.

Gavin absolutely amazed me that he could put down more food than Hayden. Seriously, Hayden can eat and eat and eat. Gavin stayed right with him. I would laugh at these boys because they both thought they could eat their own little Caesars pizza.

Gavin was polite and kind. He was thoughtful and respectful. These two boys got along simply perfectly. I was so sad for Hayden and so sad that Gavin would no longer be apart of our lives.

My heart absolutely breaks for Hayden as I know how hard it is to have your best friend move, especially when you are home-schooled. I know both boys will go on and be fine but know that friendships like theirs are truly one of a kind.

We are already planning to send them to EFY together and hoping that Gavin will come back to scout camp. Gavin's grandparents live in the ward next to us, so hopefully they will still keep in touch.

Friends are an important part of life. When you find a friend that makes life easier and hold on tight and do all you can to keep in touch. I have had lifelong friends. Some that moved away when I was Hayden's age. I am happy to say that they are some of my dearest friends today. So I know it can work.

We miss you, Gavin! Have your parents put you on a plane, you are welcome in our home, ALWAYS!

No comments: