Saturday, February 20, 2016

Jodi


I know that there is no possible way that I could make it through this life without my sister, my dear Jodi. She has been my buddy since the moment she arrived. I prayed for a little sister every night faithfully during my mom's entire pregnancy. When she came home from the hospital, I insisted on changing her diapers an feeding her. I rushed home from school to be with her and abandoned most all of my friends to spend time with her. I would sneak her out of her crib at night and put her in bed with me. As she got older, she always was with me. I dressed her up, took her on dates with me, and hauled her with my friends. She went on yearbook deadlines and to my friends houses. She slept in my room and we would talk and talk. I pretended she was my very own daughter. 

Life went on. I loved the times she would stay with me at college or I could go home to see her. She got married and moved to Tucson and then California while I was in Utah and then Arizona. I longed for visits with her and would be so happy while I was there and cry the entire ride home. 

One of the happiest days of my life was moving around the corner from Jodi and her sweet family. We were only 3 1/2 minutes away in an emergency and about 5 minutes otherwise. So very close. I loved just dropping by or meeting her at the park for the kids to play. I loved that we relied on each other for so so much. It was one of my greatest blessings and dreams come true. 

When I got sick, she was the first to stand up beside Thomas and I. She rearranged her world to take me to Mayo Clinic for IVIG treatments and doctors. She spent countless hours on my couch helping me, running me to doctors and bringing me diet cokes. She was always there to lend a shoulder to cry on. 

I have loved talking to her on the phone every single day. We share our ups and downs, the good and the bad, we cry, we laugh, we share our fears and dreams and our biggest concerns and accomplishments of our kids. 

Even since she moved an hour and a half a way, when I really need her, she comes. When Jodi is by my side, I am stronger, braver, more resilient and tolerate more. I give more and endure more and handle life better. Why? Because she helps me carry my load, she cheers me on and she believes in me. 

Jodi, I could not imagine life without you as my sister. You have blessed my life in beautiful ways. Not a day goes by that I do not thank my Savior for you. You are such a joy and blessing and one of the greatest gifts I have ever been given. I love you, Jodi! Always have. Always will. 

No comments: