Saturday, February 20, 2016

My friend, Sarah

I am so unbelievably grateful for visitors. It warms my heart, lifts my spirits and brings peace to my soul. It helps me remember that I am not alone in this fight but have countless people praying for me each and every day.

We have been dear friends with Sarah and Jordan and their four adorable adopted children since before they ever started the adoption process. We met them when they were newlyweds and loved serving with them as ward missionaries. We became friends instantly. In fact, as they spoke in sacrament meeting, I felt a strong impression that we needed to be friends with them and that they would become an important part of our lives.

I thought, Okay, how do I walk up to newlyweds, who are in their early twenties and say, hi, the spirit says we need to be friends.?! But, I did. Well, basically. I talked with them and told Jordan he reminded me of my nephew, Brigham. Just how he talked of his own adoption story, long before they would try to adopt themselves. Together, we saw many events thru including many heartbreaking failed adoptions of a few of their precious beloved children prior to getting these beloved four little ones that we oh so love.

With each new child, Sarah and Jordan would lovingly bring the newly placed baby to our home. We loved on those babies and decided being grandparents was going to be the greatest thing ever. Hayden even got attached and asked if he could be an uncle. I loved watching Jordan have fun with Hayden as we all talked and held their precious babies.

One by one is how most families come together. Not for these two. They were determined to be parents all of their lives. As their first child was placed and after four months taken from them, I watched Sarah's heart break. I wasn't sure if she could continue this path. Oh how I ached for her after all the failed adoptions and miscarriages we experienced.  Then, Zee came into their lives. Our beloved Zee. Hayden truly bonded with this child in a way I had never seen before. As he held Zee, I saw the precious big brother Hayden would have been and realized he would be one amazing father. Zee has endured more heartache and loss and tradgedy then most experience in a lifetime. I am so grateful for the true blessing that he is to our beloved friends and how lucky he is to be their son. I cannot believe he is now 4 years old.

Mr. Rex arrived shortly after, at only a year old. He was a joy in my life from the beginning. Oh how we bonded. He was the first adopted and the oldest at 4. He is joy and all boy and full of life. I love how he loves me and I simply adore him.

The twin girls arrived after much heartbreak of the loss of three other children plus Zee being placed back in the custody of his birth family. Oh how those twin girls warmed Sarah and Jordan's heart. They were so tiny and just born, so fresh from our Heavenly Father's arms. The girls have only known love as their entire lives have been spent with their beloved parents.

One of the most special days of my life was watching the three younger ones all sealed on the same day, while I was privileged to hold my dear Rex in the temple.  Definitely one of the best days of my life.

So, when I was really struggling and unsure how to keep moving forward, Sarah, coming in to visit me from Utah was exactly the medicine I needed. When my sweet friend showed up at the door, I couldn't hug her tight enough. Oh how I miss her. Her spending time with me and talking with me and hugging me was such a priceless gift. Then, in true Sarah fashion, she brought me the sweetest gift, a chemo blanket. It is beautiful. It is soft and the right thickness. And it is colorful and bright and just perfectly Sarah in a blanket.

I have loved that blanket and used it every single day. It accompanies me to dentists and doctors where I am scared. Being wrapped in it brings peace. Sarah said when I use it to know she is wrapping me in her love. I feel her love and support. I feel her strength. I feel the compiled strength of her entire family. And then I realized that as I used this blanket that I could feel the strength, love and support of all of my friends and family both near and far. The more strength I gained, the more I realized the power of a blanket of love.

I then sat pondering the love of my Savior. He sends the Holy Ghost, his comforter, to comfort me, guide me, send peace to my heart and remind me that I am never alone. His love is like a blanket that wraps around us, protects us and keeps us safe and comforts us and gives us strength.

In order for me to feel the love and care of my dear friend Sarah, all I need to do is pick up the blanket and wrap it around me. Instantly I feel her love. Within moments, that love is multiplied with the love and support of so many others. As I feel the love of all those family and friends, I feel more and more strength and comfort and peace.

So it is with our Savior. He stands waiting. He wants to send us the peace and protection and strength and love that he offers. He is there, always waiting, just as my blanket is waiting on the couch for me to pick it up and wrap myself in its love. Our Savior stands with open arms just waiting to encircle us with all he has.

I am so grateful for friends that become family. For friends that know when you need them desperately to continue to hold on. Friends that know how to show their love and allow you to feel it. Friends that listen to the Holy Ghost and our Savior as they wrap their own blankets of love around themselves. As thankful as I am for my friends and family, I am also incredibly grateful for the understanding and reassurance that my Savior is there. He stands with open arms. I just have to ask for his peace, his comfort and his love, and he is there, just like that blanket, always ready to give me what I need.

I may get weak. I may struggle to face these challenges. But one thing is sure. I am never alone. I have so many loved ones that are fighting this battle and disease with me. They wrap their arms around me, the lift me, they hold me, and they give me their strength when mine has diminished. Our dear beloved Savior also helps me. He lifts me, he wraps me in his love. And just when I think I can no longer hold on, I am blessed with added strength to face whatever challenge stands in front of me.

Thank you, Sarah for the sweet reminder. I adore my blanket and I love and adore you, my friend. Thank you for easing the burden. You made such a huge difference. 


No comments: