Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Eve

As I got to my dad's house, I was put in charge of the spiritual aspect of Christmas. I knew we were watching the Nativity. Afterwards, I talked about how the Spirit of Giving had touched each of our hearts this Christmas season. I was lucky enough to witness what each person in the family did to help others in need. It is in giving that we experience the Christmas spirit and feel Christ's gift to us. Then, one from each family shared a favorite Christmas story or experience. Some that touched me were Jodi talking about the gift of her children's birthmoms. Jake spoke of family, Josh of service.

My dad's touched me the most and I sobbed. He shared of Hayden's first Christmas and the chance of Hayden still being here today. He said that when the doctors said that Hayden's heart had to be switched around, he never thought he would be here. He cried as he shared the story. He cried as he talked about holding Brooklyn at her adoption right before Christmas, as the judge pronounced them a family. It was all touching and I could feel the Savior and my mom there sharing this most sacred family moment together.

My favorite Christmas Story... Hayden was only 12 days old. Christmas Eve was his worst day... he wasn't breathing, eating or responding. The doctors made me leave for a couple of hours so they could work on Hayden and said for me to get out of the hospital. I left for 2 hours and went to get a hug from my family. Dallin was 5 years old and on the way home from Christmas Eve, Steph asked him what he wanted Santa to bring. He said, "Only for Jesus to help Hayden breathe." That next morning, Dallin wanted to make sure that Santa found Hayden at the hospital. Santa did. Not only that, Dallin's prayers were answered and Hayden started breathing on his own early Christmas morning.

Christmas Eve was amazing!
There will NEVER be a Christmas go by that I don't remember my own Christmas miracle. The Savior answered my prayers. He answered a little 5 year olds prayer and he brought about a Miracle! I am so thankful for Hayden in my life and the Savior that still answers our prayers and gives us miracles! What a blessed Christmas Eve to be able to reflect on our Savior and his gifts to each of us!

The festivities then went on. Santa came and brought each child a gift. As Santa walked in, I was touched by remembrance of that first Christmas. Santa came early in the morning to a hospital room to brighten our hearts. He embranced the Savior's love as he kissed my little baby. This year, he brought excitement and happiness to Hayden's face as he said, "You did get my letter, didn't you, Santa!" Hayden hugged Santa tight, thanked him for his gift and told him he would be extra good this next year. Knowing Hayden, he will keep his promise.


I will ALWAYS cherish this Christmas Eve and the sweet feelings that were brought about on this sacred night.

1 comment:

Jamie Jo said...

Not surprisingly, you once again have me in tears. Merry Christmas, my wonderful friend!